Wednesday, March 7, 2012

For Brett, From Home (3/7/12)

It has been so nice having a little more communication with you this week. As I mentioned, I was feeling disconnected last week. It was hard not knowing the details of the life you are experiencing now. Being able to have such a nice conversation with you on Sunday really helped. Your last e-mail really topped it off, helping me feel even better. I'm sorry I wasn't very focused and had to let you off the phone quickly this afternoon. It has been a crazy day.

Today left me feeling a little stretched, and it didn't even include baseball.
12:00am - Go to bed!
6:45am - Todd's wake-up call. Time for scriptures in Mom's bed.
7:50am - Todd is still finishing last night's spelling homework (late baseball night) and hasn't eaten breakfast yet. Bagel, it is!
8:10am - Load up boys (including Logan) and drive to school
8:25am-12:00pm - Volunteer in the library (Book Fair Preview this week).
12:00am-1:00pm - Errands: bank deposit, pick up Todd's Rx, grocery store
2:30pm - Practice with Beth and Tia (as their accompanist).
3:30pm - Boys home. Empty backpacks.
4:00pm-4:40pm - Logan here for reading.
4:15pm-4:20pm - Call from you!
4:40pm-4:45pm - Another call from you!
4:45pm - Practice with Becky and Mara (as their accompanist)
5:15pm - Retrieve aerobie from tree on golf course where boys got it stuck. Bring boys home
5:45pm - Real Dinner! (beef stroganoff and roasted asparagus)
6:30pm-7:45pm - Cub Scouts for Todd. Ryan finishes homework in car. Then Mom and Ryan take Copper for walk in the neighborhood around the church.
7:50pm - Return movie.
8:15pm - Snack for boys; hurry up time for bed brush your teeth time for bed have you brushed your teeth yet are you ready for bed!? while doing dishes
8:45pm - Boys in bed. Mom time (finally).
Fortunately, not all days are like this, but some come awfully close.

As I mentioned, this past weekend was rainy. I was awakened on Saturday morning by Copper, who was crawling all over me looking for comfort during the thunderstorm. He may also have been chased up there by the boys who were unsuccessfully attempting to console him. Later that day I noticed a little scratch on my face, a battle wound from the dog pile. The rain never really let up and the boys (including Logan) were confined to the house. They had a great time playing at home. In the early afternoon they were starting to have a hard time keeping their energy in check. They set up the coffee table in the bedroom as a launch pad for the stuffed animals they were going to chuck at each other (their own version of "Angry Birds"). I'm not sure what happened, but somehow Logan fell on/knocked into/pounced on/elbowed? the coffee table, and one of the glass inserts broke. (Two honey-do's in only 2 1/2 weeks isn't bad, right?)

I had a dream about you last night. We were picking you up in Gatlinburg. You had shaved your head and had done a terrible job. There were uneven patches all over, and it looked like your hair was thinning in places (hah!). But you were in a great mood, smiling ear to ear. (Can I talk you into not totally shaving your hair when you get back? Cut, yes. Shave, no.)

I'm looking forward to going to Orlando for the Time Out for Women conference this weekend. I hope that all goes well. I'm looking forward to that spiritual, emotional, and social uplift. I reminded the boys that I was leaving tomorrow and Todd's response was, "Yay! Oma's!"

On Sunday Todd prepared a Family Home Evening lesson for us. On a sidenote we mentioned trials/problems. I reminded that boys that when they have problems, they need to turn to God in prayer. But I also told them that they also need to remember God when they don't have problems. I asked they what they could say in prayer during those times. Their answer was, "We can say, 'thank you' that we don't have any problems." I told them they could thank Heavenly Father for their blessings. A little later Todd was saying family prayer and in his prayer her thanked Heavenly Father that our family didn't have problems. On one hand it made me feel good that we are able to offer our boys a pretty good environment where they are happy, loved, and provided for (with little drama). On another hand (one that I think you will appreciate), I think having the feeling that you have no problems is a huge step towards contentment and gratitude, i.e. being happy with what you have. Isn't that what you are always preaching? Granted, Todd is still young and really doesn't have problems. But I love that he acknowledged it.

I know that your life right now is not problem-free. You must be tired and cold. But the rewards (beautiful views, camaraderie with other hikers) come precisely because you are willing to endure those hard days.

No comments: