Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Smell Memories

I am not a smoker and hate being around cigarette smoke. It's difficult to breathe through, and I usually have to keep myself from gagging if I am around too much smoke. That being said, I was surprised by my reaction this afternoon. I went to the library and followed an older man on my way in. He had just put out a cigarette and I ended up walking through his smoke wake. Though I was kind of holding my breath, I caught a whiff of the smoke (couldn't help it) and instantly thought of my Grandpa. My Grandpa was a smoker for most of his adult life. He did quit smoking shortly before he died. My grandfather passed away almost seventeen years ago, so I was surprised by this flashback today. I most commonly think of my Grandpa whenever I eat or talk about apple pie [and ice cream--you can't have the one without the other]. Although I still don't like the smell of smoke, it was nice to remember him today.

3 comments:

dcmitchell said...

I've noticed that it's just a particular cigarette...Kent's I think. It has a certain blend and when somebody is smoking those there is that sudden flash of memory of grandpa

Lisa said...

Wow.. I can't believe it's been that long.

beccatemecula said...

It has to be the same brand, like you say. The flashback was too distinct. I'm surprised that I haven't come across it before (or at least not recently enough to remember).