Sunday, March 22, 2009

In Self-Defense

I can't believe what I heard while visiting Todd's P.E. class for the weekly "Mile Club." As I was walking the track with Ryan we passed by a group of kindergartners who were talking. One of the boys was telling the others that a boy had pushed him, so he kicked him back. I pipe up, "Oh, No." He replies, "I can't get in trouble for self-defense." (!!!) The fact that a kindergartner would be thinking that way scares me like you can't believe. Somebody did something to me (by accident or not), so I can kick him, punch him, or do whatever I want in the name of "self-defense." I try to explain that it would be much better to say something like, "That hurt when you pushed me. Please don't do it again." I tell him to always try using words first. He, and the other kids with us, seemed to understand what I was saying at the time, but I doubt it will make much of an impact down the line if he is being brought up with opposite tactics for handling problems. I find it very sad and frustrating.

No comments: