Thursday, March 26, 2009

Momma Bird

I know I posted that our little wrens decided to nest elsewhere. I am so pleased to say that we were mistaken. About a week ago, Brett was in the garage one evening when one of the wrens started yelling at Brett. She then hopped right into the nest. Later, after she had left the nest, Brett peeked in and counted five little eggs. I have not yet seen the eggs, myself. I'm too short, even with a stool. However, I know that she has faithfully been keeping them warm. I am so surprised that our activities did not deter her from keeping her nest here. Brett has continued to work in the garage (with relatively loud power tools). Copper has gone in and out of the garage playing Frisbee with Brett. I have continued to open and close the garage door to drive in and out; I have used the washing machine and dryer which are fairly close to her nest; she even let me take this photo without complaining. (Can you see her little head in the hole?)

Brett read that wrens will usually stay in their territory year-round. They live about six years. Which mean that these are probably the same wrens that built a nest in Brett's boat last year. The eggs hatch about two weeks after they are laid, so we should be getting little babies in the next week or so.

I am so happy that they don't consider us a great threat and that were able to provide them with a safe and cozy place to build a nest (even if it's a little loud and busy).

No comments: