Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Dr. Jones Might Be Afraid of This

About a week after Brett brought home the (very cool) red rat snake from work, this is what I found one night in our dining room. I hope this doesn't scare anyone away from visiting us. Mom, you're still coming for Thanksgiving, right? We have been leaving our doors open more frequently because of the pleasant weather, and I think this guy just crawled right through the front door.

As I have gone back and read the NieNie Dialogues blog and read of NieNie's experiences when she first moved to Arizona, I was wondering how much I would be freaking out if I found a scorpion in my child's bed--I'd really be freaked out! I thought to myself, "Well, at least in Florida the cockroaches won't hurt you. They're just disgusting." I have to admit though, snakes in the dining room could cause one to freak out a bit.

Perhaps our snake experience the week before prepared me to handle this experience better. After all, this was only a baby. Just a worm. I did keep my distance long enough to go through the riddle: Red on yellow, Kills a fellow, Red on black, Friend of Jack. Then I ran to get Brett to show him my discovery (and confirm that this was only a king snake and not a poisonous coral snake). Brett and I took turns holding him (cool, but not nearly as cool as the rat snake), then made a little terrarium for it until we could show it to Todd and Ryan. [Gary, aren't you glad that you didn't happen to stop by when the terrarium (and snake) were sitting on top of our fridge?]

This time the boys guessed right away what might be in the box.

It took Ryan no time at all to reach out and touch the snake, ready to hold it.

Though Todd let Ryan go first, he was not shy about holding this snake.

We have made sure to tell the boys that they are not allowed to touch a snake they find on their own. They have to get Mom and Dad (Dad, preferably) as soon as they see a snake. Some snakes have poison and we will only let them them touch the ones that won't hurt them. They seem to understand this (I certainly hope so!). I am glad that under supervised conditions they are able to enjoy examining reptiles without fear.

1 comment:

Madawyh said...

wow- it's tiny! I thought the same thing about the coral/king snake. The first picture made it look huge, but man it was a baby. I've never seen one of those around our house (it would freak me out - that kind of mimicry is kind of scary!)

wyatt would have loved it - call us next time. He went nuts for the snakes at the mullet festival - he couldn't get enough of it!