I haven't been able to do this much reading since Todd was a little baby and I spent all my time on the couch nursing him. Before that it had been since I was working as a receptionist for Delta Medical, a small business where I finished my work quickly, we had few telephone calls and even fewer walk-in customers.
8:30pm Wednesday night found me found me on the couch "finishing a chapter" in a book I had just started the day before called Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale. I had planned on getting some work done like folding laundry, finishing Halloween costumes, or getting caught up on paperwork. However, once I was sitting comfortably reading the book I couldn't stop (until 12:30am when I finished it!). Besides, laundry can wait 'til tomorrow (or the next day). Now that I am able to get a little more done during the day I don't always feel the same pressure to do so much multi-tasking at night.
I had enjoyed The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale so much that I checked out Princess Academy from the library. It was another sweet fairy tale. The Goose Girl was based on a Grimm's fairy tale which I had never heard of. When I was in the library with Ryan yesterday (story time every Thursday) we were sitting on the floor between two bookshelves looking at books so Ryan could pick some out. My eyes fell on The Goose Girl, an easy version of the Grimm's fairy tale. I'm not sure how closely it followed the original, but I'm sure it was closer than the young adult novel I enjoyed so much. It was nice to read another version of the story, but I found that I enjoyed the detail and the story of the Shannon Hale novel much better.
[In case you haven't figured it out already, I could read or watch about 100 versions of the Cinderella story before I got tired of it. I'm a sucker for happily-ever-after fairy tales.]
No comments:
Post a Comment