I just finished one of the books in my read-and-pass-along stack, Stranger at Stonewycke. I received it as a gift, and I don't think that the giver realized that this book was the first book in the second trilogy about a family in Scotland, heirs of an ancient castle named Stonewycke. It is an Inspirational (Christian) fiction and is a little cheesy, but was still a diverting, easy read.
The lead male character learns more about his great-great-uncle Digory who had been a groom at the estate. The Lady of Stonewycke admired this man and spoke of him with respect.
"He was not a man of many words or great intellect. But he lived what he believed, and I think it shaped me as a child more than anything else in my life. . . . Digory couldn't help what he did. He was not trying to foist anything off on me. Just being around him was a learning experience. Sometimes he didn't have to say a word. You could see in the way he treated the animals, or in that glowing peace which was always in his eyes, that there was a difference in him not found in the average man. So many in our station of life look down on what they call the common man. But often real commonness lies in those the world counts greater. True nobility is a matter of the heart, Logan. And I can tell you, your uncle Digory was no common man. He was a true aristocrat. When he spoke, every word possessed substance and came from a heart of love." (Italics added)
Similarly, the lead female, after experiencing a change of heart, reflected on what made her own father a great man.
"Such thoughts reminded Allison of the boundless love in his nature that more than equalled his energy, and his hearty laughter, and his capacity to make friends with everyone. She had not allowed herself to notice such qualities of his character before, qualities which made of him no common man indeed, but rather a great one. How much she had missed!"
I really liked these paragraphs and what they said about the things that make a great man. I didn't think much more about it until a day later when Ryan asked me about a magnet on my refrigerator. He asked me what it said. It was one I received after a lesson in Relief Society; it reads, "You were born for glory."
Certainly, I have heard this message countless times as I have grown up. I am a child of God. I am an individual with unique gifts and am important in the eyes of the Lord. He will bless me more than I can imagine as I live faithfully and continue to put Him first in my life. I have also been taught about those individuals who were not great in themselves, but who were able to accomplish great things because they followed the Lord and did what He needed them to. Queen Esther was a great example of a woman in the scriptures who courageously stood up for what was right and saved a nation.
However, thinking about what I had read and about the words on the magnet gave me another chance to think about this principle. I don't need to save a nation to be a great woman. In fact, because I don't think that I ever will have to do that, the words had not sunk in and become personal to me. Rather, realizing that greatness can and often does occur with those who are considered common was eye-opening to me.
It should not have been a surprise. After all, our greatest teacher, Jesus Christ, spent his life in service. And though he was the Only Begotten Son of our Heavenly Father, he was not above washing the feet of his friends. However, because he did so much more than that I think I forgot that I can be great in my own small way by living as a righteous daughter of God.
These thoughts were followed by an experience I had yesterday afternoon. Ryan and I went to eat at Danny's Fried Chicken. I let Ryan pick the table, and we ended up sitting right next to a woman who was eating alone. I saw her look over at us a few times, but didn't think too much of it. (Who can resist watching an adorable little boy?) When she had just about finished her lunch she started up a conversation with us, saying that Ryan looked like a sweet boy and it looked like we had a good relationship.
I had never thought about our "relationship" before. I sometimes worry about what our relationship will be when the boys become teenagers, but talking and spending time with my little boys has been easy. However, I could tell that the woman's words were sincere, and they hinted at a little sadness and regret in her own life. I did not think much of what I was doing that would impress this woman. Ryan and I had just spent our lunch chatting and sometimes cuddling because the restaurant was a little cold, but I also had to remind him to sit on his bottom and eat his food a few times during the course of our meal.
The woman had told me that I was a good mother. It surprised me that such a common experience--watching a mother eat lunch with her little boy--could leave such an impression on a stranger. But it brought home the lesson I was meant to learn this week. In those everyday interactions that I have with my children, my family, and my friends, great things can be accomplished as my actions and words are filled with love and follow the example of my Savior.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven" (Matthew 5:16).
No comments:
Post a Comment