Thursday, September 18, 2008

Homework, Cooler Weather, and Competition

Homework
This is the follow up to Todd's sick day post. Todd ended up being out of school for three days. I had hoped that he would be well enough to go to school on Friday, but he was up most of the night (Thursday night) coughing. When he went to school on Monday I sent a note to the teacher explaining his absences and said to feel free to send home any work she wanted me to go over with Todd at home. We spent all of Monday afternoon and early evening finishing his "homework." It was all easy stuff, and Todd was a great sport about it. If anything, it was more one-on-one time than he usually gets with me in the evening. However, I am not looking forward to when homework becomes a daily chore.

Sometimes Todd still doesn't seem like his body has fully recuperated. Not that he has a temperature or a constant cough and runny nose. He just seems to get tired out more easily in the evenings. Tonight he had to be sent to his room for a little quiet time. I can see it, but he doesn't recognize that his body is still a little worn down.

I am still having him take his breathing treatments twice a day until I am sure that he is back to normal. He has been protesting the medicine the last two days, because he doesn't consider himself sick. I am hoping that this doesn't become a battle this winter when he needs to take his breathing medicine every day to treat his "asthma-like symptoms". A summer with no problems has made him forget that sometimes we use the medicine to assist in treating a cold, but we also use it at times (colder winter weather) to help prevent the coughing fits he is prone to when he is off the medicine. This all still feels new to me as I adjust to caring for someone who needs regular treatment for a (comparatively very minor--thank goodness) chronic health concern.

Cooler Weather
I was so excited this week when I was able to open the sliding glass doors for the first time since Spring. We set up Play-Do on the craft table in the screened porch for Ryan. No more reminding, "Shut the door!" I enjoyed some time finishing my book outside and playing basketball with Ryan. And yesterday we had an absolutely lovely day at the park with our church playgroup friends.



Competition
One reason (among many) why I find it harder to spend much time on the computer these days: as soon as I sit down during the day at the computer one or two little boys will immediately ask, "Can I play on the computer?" They have become quite adept at controlling the mouse and figuring out how to play the activities on their favorite web sites (Thomas and Playhouse Disney). They do a pretty good job taking turns when I use the timer, but I still need to monitor them closely so they don't get glued to the screen. I am looking forward to having a system at home where they will be able to earn the privilege to play on the computer for a set amount of time according to the chores they have completed. Coming soon!

No comments: