Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Diary Of Our Sick Day

Todd started coming down with a fever last night a little before bedtime. He had been acting a little tired after school on Tuesday, but I figured that's all it was--a little worn out from a long day at school. Around midnight last night when I was on my way to bed, my suspicions were confirmed: Todd was sick. He had a fever and I ended up giving him some medicine to help bring it down so he could sleep. I knew that that we would be having our first sick day--Todd wouldn't be going to school in the morning. Unfortunately, Todd woke up quite early in the morning after the medicine wore off, and I was feeling like I was in need of a sick day myself.

Ryan woke up quite chipper and excited that he had Todd home to play with all day. From my cozy bed it sounded like Ryan was bouncing off the walls, and he didn't quite understand that both Todd and Mommy could have used a little more sleep. Todd ended up crawling into bed with me and even asked to borrow my eye mask to help him sleep better. (I don't think it worked, but it's fun to wear anyway.)


Todd definitely did not have his usual energy, and spent most of the day doing quiet activities like taking care of his virtual pet. (For once, his little puppy got some attention! I'll try to post more about that later.) Ryan, on the other hand had plenty of energy. Here, Ryan acts like a frog. (Sorry for the bad photo. Remember, I'm still using that broken camera.)


Todd who took a little downhill turn (101.8), moves to the couch for a rest while Ryan works on an art project. Finally, Mommy let him do painting!


We still talk to Todd and include him in our conversation (or rather, Todd is the one who really keeps the conversation going--that boy can talk!) as Ryan and I make Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins for lunch. (I didn't get motivated to make them for breakfast this morning. The boys requested cold cereal, and I gladly complied.)
I asked Ryan to clean up the ice cubes he spilled all over the floor. . . . but I was really thinking a towel might be the easiest way to pick them up. Ryan, however, thinks acting like a dog is more fun. Let's hope that floor isn't too nasty.


Poor Todd! He snuggles with the ice pack. Ryan makes an interesting bed in a cave.


This is, by far, my most favorite photo of the day. Despite feeling pretty bad and sticking to the couch for a while, Todd is still enthusiastic in his conversations with Ryan. And Ryan still finds ways to have fun and stick close to Todd.

I gave Todd some more medicine before lunch. He was able to get some nourishment in his body and take a decent nap. Even better, Ryan went down without any problems as well. He has not been taking many naps these days, and I was worried that he might not have expended enough energy staying home to nap today. Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity to take a nap with them.

Despite the fact that Todd was feeling bad (and I would never wish that on him), I enjoyed having a lazy at day at home with both my boys. I think they enjoyed the relaxed schedule as well. From the looks of it, we'll be able to repeat it again tomorrow! Todd just woke up a bit ago (11:00pm-ish) feeling bad again. Even if his fever is down in the morning, he doesn't need to be going to school yet. Let's hope he's able to go on Friday. It's school picture day.

No comments: