I just read a blog where the author admitted to a food obsession (grapefruit of all things!?!). As I was preparing breakfast this morning, I reflected on my own current food obsession: cheese grits (of all things?). It began a few months ago when we had a Relief Society Meeting (with the ladies from church) where they served good-ol' Southern food. The cheese grits really tasted good to me. Although I have learned to tolerate grits during the 20 years that I have lived in Florida, that was the first time that I really liked them and went back for more. A while later, I had cheese grits as a side at Danny's Fried Chicken - so yummy!
So, I recently bought a package of grits and made a bowl a plain grits at home - I wasn't that excited about them. But when I made the cheese grits I was hooked. I have fixed cheese grits about every other day over the last 2 or 3 weeks. (I have actually fixed them the last 3 days in a row!) Although Todd and Ryan have both tried them, they are not hooked and would prefer not to eat them. Each time I ask if they would like some cheese grits Ryan says (with a big smile on his face because he likes being silly), "No, thank you. They sound YUCK!"
What I don't understand is why a perfect comfort food is often viewed as gross, white-trash food. But a comfort food like risotto is a delicacy. Oh well, I'm still enjoying my white-trash comfort food.
Brett's current food obsession: jalapenos straight from the jar on a tortilla chip - with or without a piece of American cheese.
No comments:
Post a Comment