Thursday, May 8, 2008

One More Reason Why Mom Doesn't Have to Fly to Florida This Summer

For the past few summers my mom has flown to Florida to work for me (pro bono) taking care of my children and doing various jobs (big jobs, most of them) around the house for two weeks while I was away acting as a chaperone at Youth Conference and Girls Camp.

Now I have one more reason why my mom won't have to come this summer. First of all, she is unavailable this year since she will be doing projects in her own house in Maine getting ready for our family reunion this July. Secondly, I have arranged for other babysitters in the form of my sister-in-law and nieces who will be moving two doors down from us next month.

Lastly, after seven years of being a homeowner, I have finally pruned my own bushes! Not only is this my first time pruning bushes as a homeowner, it is my first time ever! I won't have to wait for my mom to visit to get it done anymore. I only did the bushes right in front of the house today, but I am feeling surprisingly motivated to do some yard maintenance. I hope to trim all of the bushes around the house and yard over the next week or so.
Yesterday I weeded half of our front island. That might not sound like much, but I worked for quite a while rescuing a poor azalea bush that was being choked by "brambles". I dug up about twenty "tubers" - the roots of the "pokey-bushes" that were climbing all over the azalea. Here is a photo of one of them. Somehow, you just don't get that same feeling of satisfaction looking at the photo as you do digging it up. I was shouting "hurray" after each one that I removed. I also removed quite a few baby oak trees - although they didn't all feel like babies trees when I was pulling them up. I actually broke my weed tool in the process! (Sorry, no photo of that.)
Here is a photo of the noxious brambles I was working on. You might recognize this plant, Mom. I remember you working on these in Florida. This bush has yet to be rescued...another day.
Yesterday, both Todd and Ryan were outside with me finding, capturing, and observing "roly-polies" while I dug and weeded. Today, I gave both the boys a pair of pruners. Ryan lost interest pretty quickly, but Todd was rather helpful. He really made an effort to give the bushes in front of his window a "haircut". It was nice having his company. I was proud of the hard work he was trying to do. Here, Todd demonstrates how he pruned the bushes.
Below, Todd shows his pile of branches. Pretty good work for a little guy.

No comments: