Friday, May 30, 2008

How Do You Make Me Laugh? Let Me Count the Ways

I. Ryan: I want a princess scooter. It has four wheels and a basket that you can put things in when you ride. [This he knows, because his friend Maddie has a princess scooter.]
Mom: What would you put in your basket?
Ryan: Like, if I keep my diaper dry at night, I could put in caaaan-dy. Or, I could put in a teddy bear, because it wouldn't fly out of the basket.

II. "Mom, don't ever return this computer, because I love that dog."
Evidently, I have done a little too much decluttering over the past year to make Ryan comfortable. He feels the need to remind me often about things that he likes so I won't "return" them. For example, "Mom, don't ever return Battery-Powered James (or Lightning McQueen or that piece of paper [dream on--it's going in the trash!] or Sandy [as if!]), because I love him (it/her)."

III. Ryan has come to "love" people based on how funny he thinks they are.
Ryan told me the other day that he didn't like Jaden very much before, but now, "I love Jaden, because he said 'No, no mud!'"
"We love Curtis, because he says, 'Daddy, Daddy Do-oh'"
"We love Daddy, because he said, 'Oh! I think I see Mom coming home. No, that's not her.'" [The boys were supposed to be cleaning up the toys before Mom came home, so Daddy was keeping a careful watch and warning them with each passing car.]

IV. Ryan: Mom, I want to be a dog.
Mom: You can pretend to be a dog.
Ryan: No, I want to be a dog, really.
Mom: I'm sorry Ryan. You will never be a dog.
Ryan: I mean, when I grow up I want to be a dog.
Mom: Why do you want to be a dog?
Ryan: Because I like being a dog because they have four legs.
Ryan is still trying to look like and act like a dog whenever he can, which means a lot of crawling around on the floor, and looking at me with sweet puppy eyes. Here he is, imitating Dixie.

No comments: