Friday, May 30, 2008

Ugly Beauty

I have been trying to go through and read some of my old books that I read as a girl. Because I don't have girls of my own to pass them on to, because books are relatively easy to come by at the library, and because we are trying not to keep too many books in the house I am reading some of these worn paperwork books with the intent that I will pass them on (i.e. "return" them, as Ryan would say) when I am finished. I have already finished reading the Little House on the Prarie books as well as The Secret Garden. Recently, I also finished reading A Girl of the Limberlost. What a coincidence it was when I found this moth one evening in our back porch days after finishing the book! It was huge, and the top of the wings had such striking markings. Unfortunately, by the time I got the camera the moth wouldn't open them up for me again, and I didn't want to push the issue too much for fear of injuring the moth. I wish I could tell you what it is called. This picture does not do it justice.

2 comments:

Don said...

Although the picture isn't entirely clear, I don't believe that is a moth. Moths have "fuzzy" antennae and butterflies have "clean" antennae. I think people typically classify moths as "ugly butterflies" or "uncolorful butterflies" and this, scientifically, just isn't the case. Again, the picture makes it difficult to classify, but as far as I can see, that's a butterfly.

Don said...

Upon further investigation, I will admit, this is a moth. The antennae are too short to be a butterfly. Here is a great article regarding the differences:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2154659_tell-difference-between-butterflies-moths.html

Furthermore, I believe you have located a Polyphemus Silkmoth:
http://www.wormspit.com/polyphemus.htm has some excellent pictures and obviously http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antheraea_polyphemus does a good job of discussing it.

So there you go... more than you ever wanted to know.