In addition to growing flowers, I am trying to grow some vegetables and herbs this year. As with flowers, I have planted some vegetables and herbs in the past, but neglect them before they are able to produce much. I think I did get one cherry tomato last year before the plant died. I would have had three bell peppers but the bugs or critters got to them before I did.
This year I planted zucchini squash, yellow summer squash, grape tomatoes, jalapenos, "sweet" peppers (that are looking like long, skinny bell peppers), watermelons, cucumbers, and a few herbs such as lemon thyme, spearmint, apple mint, lemon balm, chives, basil, and Thai basil. I am very excited about how well things are doing presently. My yellow squash looks fantastic, and I hope to have some ready to pick very soon. My grape tomatoes are looking good, and I have about 10 that look like they might be ready to turn red in the next week or so. And my basil plant has grown so well that I have already been able to cut off a little more than a cup's worth of leaves that I used in a chicken basil stir-fry. This is the best I have ever done with a vegetable garden, and I hope to have a bountiful harvest. My friend Anne and I have had fun comparing how well each other's plants are doing and are both excited for harvest time.
A month ago, this sight would have melted my heart. How cute! A sweet little bunny in my very own front yard. Although he still looks sweet I can't help but think, "You better stay away from my vegetables, Mister!" He looks a little too comfortable in my dirt and is treading a little too closely to my tomatoes.

No comments:
Post a Comment