I have been pretty terrible about keeping friends and family informed with Wendel news, so this may be the first you have heard/seen about our latest development. Brett and his dad have negotiated a deal and expect to close on a house in our general neighborhood this summer. There are just a few details and paperwork to finish, but it's pretty much a done-deal. The house needs a bit of updating inside, and the owner has already given us a key to get started. We hope to get most everything done in the next few months and have it ready to rent out by the fall. It's an older style home (similar to ours), but I think it will make a very nice house. The street is quiet, has beautiful old oak trees and nice-sized lots.
Brett and his dad have already put in quite a bit of work - they have torn out all of the carpet, painted the ceilings, run some wiring in the bedrooms for ceiling fans, and removed the entire old intercom system. We forgot to take "before" pictures, so now all of the inside photos look like a construction zone-which it is at this point.
The formal living room and dining rooms are to the left of the entry. There is a nice, big bay window in the formal living room.
The family room room and kitchen are in the back of house. There is a built-in boyshelf...er, bookshelf... in the family room which will be taken out.
The kitchen had cabinets that hung above a peninsula, similar to the setup in our kitchen. These cabinets were barely hanging to the ceiling, so Brett has already taken them down. We will put one double and one single cabinet back on the wall, but will leave it open above the peninsula. We also plan to replace the appliances (oven, cooktop, and dishwasher), which all appear to be the originals.
I'm not including any photos of the bedrooms or bathrooms. They're pretty standard, and the photos didn't turn out that well. The master bedroom is in the back of the house. It has a sliding glass door to the back yard. The master bath has a tub and toilet, with the vanity and sink outside the bathroom opposite a walk-in closet. The middle bedroom is rather small (similar to Ryan's room), and the front bedroom is a good-sized room (similar to Todd's room) with two closets. The hall bath is a little smaller than ours.
There is green space adjacent to the back of the property as well as to the left of the house, making the yard seem quite big. The house to the back of the green space has a privacy fence, so that area is pretty much available for us to clear out and clean up as we have the time and inclination.
Nice, big camelia in the back.
One of the things that I like about the property is the big oak trees. Like Brett said, you could turn the back yard into a bird sanctuary. In fact, he said today when he pulled up to the house there was a red-shouldered hawk perched up in one of the trees. (No, the hawk is not pictured here. I just thought this was a cool photo.)
Here is a close-up of one of Brett's favorite things about the front yard - an old turpentine tree. There are two of these long-leaf pine trees in the front. I don't really know much about them; Brett could tell you a lot more. I think both trees still have the metal plates stuck in the trunks, which they used to collect the sap for making turpentine.
We are excited about the house, and hope that it will be a good investment for our family. In the meantime, I know that it will be a lot of work. In fact, I should clarify that anywhere this blog entry couples the pronoun "we" with a verb implying work - I really mean "Brett". Wish us [i.e. him/Brett] luck!
I'm not including any photos of the bedrooms or bathrooms. They're pretty standard, and the photos didn't turn out that well. The master bedroom is in the back of the house. It has a sliding glass door to the back yard. The master bath has a tub and toilet, with the vanity and sink outside the bathroom opposite a walk-in closet. The middle bedroom is rather small (similar to Ryan's room), and the front bedroom is a good-sized room (similar to Todd's room) with two closets. The hall bath is a little smaller than ours.
There is green space adjacent to the back of the property as well as to the left of the house, making the yard seem quite big. The house to the back of the green space has a privacy fence, so that area is pretty much available for us to clear out and clean up as we have the time and inclination.
Nice, big camelia in the back.
One of the things that I like about the property is the big oak trees. Like Brett said, you could turn the back yard into a bird sanctuary. In fact, he said today when he pulled up to the house there was a red-shouldered hawk perched up in one of the trees. (No, the hawk is not pictured here. I just thought this was a cool photo.)
Here is a close-up of one of Brett's favorite things about the front yard - an old turpentine tree. There are two of these long-leaf pine trees in the front. I don't really know much about them; Brett could tell you a lot more. I think both trees still have the metal plates stuck in the trunks, which they used to collect the sap for making turpentine.
We are excited about the house, and hope that it will be a good investment for our family. In the meantime, I know that it will be a lot of work. In fact, I should clarify that anywhere this blog entry couples the pronoun "we" with a verb implying work - I really mean "Brett". Wish us [i.e. him/Brett] luck! [Just kidding (mostly), Brett! I promise to help out as I am able.]
No comments:
Post a Comment