Sunday, March 30, 2008

Todd's Third Attempt at Sharing the Scripture

Every week in Primary a child shares a scripture then gives a prayer. Another child then gives a talk. I have shared Todd's first (and so far only) experience of giving the talk in Primary. He did a great job, with the exception of the scripture in his talk that I hoped he would recite. He skipped that part completely. Todd has had two previous opportunities to share the scripture and prayer. Both of those times he froze up and would not say a word. I looked a little like a dummy trying to whisper the words in his ear, only to end up having to say it all myself. Both times, I walked away from the podium feeling a little frustrated. However, Todd has continued to accept the invitation to share the scripture and prayer.

Today was Todd's third attempt. We have been working on memorizing a scripture in James (James 1:5) for a little over two weeks, and Todd and Ryan almost have it down. They still need a few prompts towards the end. I talked to Todd, and we decided to share this scripture in Primary. And how did he do when it came time to recite the scripture in front of twenty-plus children and teachers?? Fabulously! His best ever! Although I know that he has most of the scripture memorized and can say a prayer with no help, I did have to prompt him the whole time. But, he spoke clearly into the microphone and made it all the way through. There is hope for my shy little boy.

No comments: