Here are some of the fun photographed events I have participated in.
Five choral performances this Christmas season--that's quite a few for our small group!

Playgroup graham cracker tree-train-house-or-whatever-you-like decorating activity. Ryan decided to go for the less-complicated graham cracker tree. I couldn't tell you how much candy he ate that morning, but it was at least as much as he put on the tree.

After finishing his tree, Ryan got to do what he was most looking forward to: dressing up like Darth Vader.
Anne and I hosted our annual cookie exchange, and had a huge group! I think everyone who attended had a pretty good time.

Yes, there are at least 1,368 cookies on those two tables. I realize that 6 dozen cookies is a lot to take home. But, if you were making Christmas cookies for you family, you would probably end up making two batches of cookies--that's about 6 dozen cookies. Also, with more than 19 types of cookies you may only end up with 2 to 4 cookies of each type. What a disappointment if you only ended up with ONE of the very best cookies you had ever tried. It's bad enough that I only ended up with about four of the Dipped Cherry Cookies (and, no, I didn't share).
Caroling at the Pavilion with Ryan's preschool class.
Isn't this about the cutest thing you have seen? Nobody told me that the "uniform" included jeans and long-sleeves.... As always, I let Ryan pick out his own outfit. I was just grateful that Ryan was willing to wear the Rudolph shirt that he made with his class that morning instead of his beloved Speed Racer shirt.
Ryan, smiling with his best preschool friend, Claire.
Ryan had to stop by the "Popcorn Tree" in the cafeteria. Ryan informed me that last year he ate some of the popcorn off the tree last year when we sang with our playgroup. If I can get my act together, I may try to string popcorn chains for our tree at home. I still have three days, right?

I couldn't believe that Ryan actually gave a hug to some of the residents we sang to. Little Amber was the best example of unconditional love, happily giving hugs and saying Merry Christmas to everyone. It was nice to see a little of it rub off on Ryan that morning.

Todd's teacher graciously allowed Ryan to participate in their gingerbread house decorating. Again, I couldn't tell you how much candy those boys ate compared with how much ended up on their trees. (Okay, I popped some candy in my mouth too while I watched them decorate.)

Beautiful temptations.

Back at school again for the Kindergarten Christmas program on the last day of school. This time Oma and "Missy" Hall, a long-time neighbor/family friend, joined me. They gave the parents a chance to take photos at the end of the program before the kids left the risers. I managed to snap a photo of the craziness with Todd actually looking at me. (He's wearing the red and white striped polo shirt.) I was happy to see that Todd sang the songs even though he was kind of shy about it.

My favorite part about the Christmas program is probably the practicing that Todd did in preparation for it. They learned "Silent Night" in sign language. Todd sang it quite a few times at home and taught me how to do the signs with him. I loved singing and signing "Silent Night" with him or just watching him sign the song in our quiet house just before bed. It warms my heart.
Just this weekend I attended a birthday party for my friend, Anne. Happy 30th, Anne. You're still a Spring chicken as far as I'm concerned.
Caught you, Todd! You're not supposed to lick the knife. Fortunately, each child had his own container of frosting.

Beautiful temptations.
We went back to Todd's kindergarten class for their Christmas party. Again, Ryan was allowed to participate in the activities. The teacher split the kids by gender and had them pass around a multi-layer-wrapped gift while she played some music. When the music stopped, the child with the gift opened a layer of paper which revealed a small surprise (candy, for the boys). That child left the circle with his surprise and the music started again. Todd and Ryan were the last two boys left. I was worried that Ryan might be the last one standing. I didn't want that happen, since he's not even a part of the class. Fortunately, Todd was the winner instead. He peeled off the last layer of paper to reveal a package of two Transformers Robot Heroes. What fun!
As if I had not seen enough cookies this month, I made some Pecan Puffets to include in a little Christmas present for Todd's teacher. I was making those cookies close to midnight on the night before the last day of school. But, I got it finished, and I thought the final result was quite darling. It included some packages of gourmet hot chocolate, some apple cinnamon herbal tea, and a sweet Christmas ornament that Todd picked out from our local Hallmark bookstore and signed on the back.

Back at school again for the Kindergarten Christmas program on the last day of school. This time Oma and "Missy" Hall, a long-time neighbor/family friend, joined me. They gave the parents a chance to take photos at the end of the program before the kids left the risers. I managed to snap a photo of the craziness with Todd actually looking at me. (He's wearing the red and white striped polo shirt.) I was happy to see that Todd sang the songs even though he was kind of shy about it.

My favorite part about the Christmas program is probably the practicing that Todd did in preparation for it. They learned "Silent Night" in sign language. Todd sang it quite a few times at home and taught me how to do the signs with him. I loved singing and signing "Silent Night" with him or just watching him sign the song in our quiet house just before bed. It warms my heart.
Just this weekend I attended a birthday party for my friend, Anne. Happy 30th, Anne. You're still a Spring chicken as far as I'm concerned.
In addition to the above photographed events, I also participated in various Relief Society activities, weekly piano lessons, Brett's work Christmas party (unfortunately, without Brett, as he was stuck in Pensacola working until late and had to miss the boat for our dinner cruise), a neighbor's Christmas party, church choir rehearsals and performances (this week and last week), and a little bit of Christmas shopping thrown in just for fun.
On top of all these activities, after an emotional night last night, I was in need of some good down-time. I found it in the way of hanging out with Mark and Donna. Brett suggested that we go over there earlier in the afternoon. We all sat around in the living room watching Kellie and Todd play Mario Kart on the Wii, followed by a little Mythbusters. Brett went home to try to get some more rest, but the boys and I stayed, ate dinner, and watched The Incredibles with the rest of the family. It was so nice snuggling on the couch with everyone. Mark was on the recliner with 12-year-old Kellie asleep in his lap; Donna was on one side of the sectional couch; and Todd, Casie, Ryan, and I were snuggled on the other side. Ryan and I took turns being a pillow for the other, and it was just what I needed.

I hope to fit in a few more evenings like that this week.

I hope to fit in a few more evenings like that this week.









No comments:
Post a Comment