Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Who Says Florida Has No Fall?

Who says that Florida doesn't have real seasons?

We do have a very long, very hot summer. But we have near perfect weather during our short spring. It also gets quite cold (below freezing, even) in the winter. When I woke up this morning to 37 degrees outside and frost on the ground, I was convinced that Florida has a winter. True--I doubt I'll see snow, and it warmed up in the sun to a comfortable 60 degrees outside this afternoon. But there will be days when I wish it would snow. Otherwise, what's the point of staying so cold?

And this year we have had a "real" fall, including the beautiful change in foliage. I don't remember past years being as beautiful as this year. See the reds? See the yellows?

I took some photos around my neighborhood, including this maple in my front yard.



I love this red!


What I like about this photo is how this tree (not sure what kind of oak it is, and I'm too tired to look it up) is no longer camouflaged. The red foliage gives it away.
(One of these branches is not like the other. Wait! How did this tree get here?)

This is another tree on our street that I love. I admire it every time I pass by on the way to Todd's bus stop. (Well, maybe I don't admire it as I'm running to the bus stop in the morning, but I do the other three times I pass it each day.) It is past its prime now, but the yellow was so beautiful with almost purple leaves on the ends of some of the branches. What a striking contrast.


Changing the subject from fall, but keeping within the category of "nature"...
I was grateful for the tip that I got from Brett's mom as I was walking out the door to chorus practice last night. The Moon, Venus, and Jupiter were very close together in the sky last night. I took an extra few minutes to admire it and tried to snap a photo before heading off to practice. (I was already five minutes late--what's another five? It was worth it.)

No comments: