If I believed in reincarnation, I would say...
In my past life I was a dancer.
Or perhaps, in my next life I will be a dancer. I can feel it in my bones.
But since I don't believe in reincarnation, it is left for me to say...
In my dreams, I am a dancer.
Or perhaps, I fantasize of being able to dance.
Not that becoming a dancer is on my list of realistic dreams or life goals. It's not. At all. I'm not creative enough to be a real dancer. And it's too late to teach me how. But who knows? Maybe someday I will have enough guts to go back and take a dance class sans partner.
I took two dance classes in college, many moons ago. I took a clogging class my first semester of college--which I hated. Until it was over. Then I loved it. I still have my shoes tucked away in the corner of my closet. I broke them out about ten years ago to participate in a talent show at church with my dear friend, Janice. We did a routine to an Alison Krauss song and had so much fun.
My last semester at BYU I took a folk dance class, which I loved from the beginning. I was sorry that I didn't take folk dance my first semester and continue taking classes while I was there. A minor regret.
Nowadays I only pretend to dance maybe once a week, for about five minutes, when no one is home, and a song comes on the radio that gets me moving.
On Saturday Todd had a birthday party at the skating rink. Instead of just dropping Todd off and leaving, I paid for Ryan and myself to do some rollerblading.
Most mornings I take Copper rollerblading after the boys get on the bus. I really enjoy it, but it still feels like exercise.
When I am skating in a rink it feels like Dancing.
I don't love all the music; and why, oh why, would you give kids whistles at a birthday party??? Still, I had so much fun "dancing" around the rink for almost three hours with very few breaks.
I will go on the record to say that there is something so attractive about a man who can dance. There was an off-duty employee at the rink who was easily the best skater on the floor. My eyes were drawn to him all afternoon. Half of it was, mmmmm it is so nice to watch him move--and the other half of it was, I'm so envious of how easy he makes it look!
Lest I injure Brett's feelings . . . Brett, the kid was probably fifteen years younger than I am. And I wasn't attracted to him, just his dancing. Ultimately, to quote George Strait, "I just want to dance with you." What do you say? Maybe you could be my partner for that dance class I want to take someday.
Really, what do you think?
That's what I thought.
I can still fantasize.
3 comments:
I think dancing is in our blood somewhere. I forgot you'd taken dancing classes.
Did you know that I did show choir (singing and dancing) and dance classes in college as well?
Yes, I think it's genetic. I'll take a class with you!
Er, I did show choir in High School, not college. Lack of info in that one.
I did remember that you were in (High School) show choir. I'm sad that I was never able to see you perform.
I think my inability to be a good dancer has to do with not being able to ad lib. Teach me the dance steps and I'll have a ball. Give me some sheet music and I'll sing or play the piano. I just can't make up music or a dance to go with it on my own.
So, yeah, let's take that dance class!
Post a Comment