Friday, February 24, 2012

For Brett, From Home (2/24/12)

I have a confession to make. Maybe I'm not doing such a great job taking care of Copper. Last night I took him for a ride with me to the baseball field. (Good Hun.) Then, somehow in the unloading of boys, shoes, equipment, purse, who-know-what-else . . . Copper never took the opportunity to get out and . . . I shut the door, with him still inside. (That's how ashamed I am. I had to use tiny print.) I think he just settled down and took a nap. Between getting the boys bathed and bedded, I didn't miss Copper. By the time things were quiet I still didn't miss him, thinking he was curled up somewhere. It wasn't until I went into the garage to do some laundry (more than two hours later--Bad, Bad Hun) that I saw him sitting up looking at me through the window. Poor boy. I felt so bad that I tried to make it up by throwing the Aeorobie, but he quickly got bored with it. The window had been down a few inches, and he didn't seem traumatized. I think I probably felt worse than he did. In fact, this afternoon when I went to leave for the grocery store, you should have seen Copper jump at the chance for another ride.
Sorry. We really are trying.

I was watching Ryan playing catch by himself this afternoon in the back yard. He has actually gotten better. Todd was inspired enough by his improvement that he invited Ryan to play catch with him. They played (unimpressively) for, I don't know, maybe a whole 3 minutes!

I sometimes think I am too nice to solicitors. I stayed on the phone with a girl this evening for about 10 minutes. She was very nice, and I was nice back. I let her describe some of their products. I declined, so she described some other options. I declined, so she described some other products. At this point (actually prior to that point) I should have just said, "I'm not buying nothin'!" But I didn't, and it took another two minutes for her to get the point. Now I feel worse for wasting her time than I would have if I were a little more rude, i.e. firm, in the beginning.

You would be proud of me. I attempted to fix another problem by myself. The shower curtain rod in the hall bath has been driving me crazy for months. It just rests and rolls on top of the ledge of the tub walls. I can never seem to extend it and get it to keep a tight fit. So, I bought a new rod today. (Way to show initiative!) I looked at the instructions on the new rod and thought (Did you catch that? I thought about it.), "Hmmm. I wonder if I've been trying to extend and tighten the old rod incorrectly. It might still work." I took myself to the bathroom and successfully (we'll see how successfully after a couple of weeks) extended and tightened the old rod. I don't know whether to feel proud that I fixed my own problem, or stupid that I didn't know how to tighten a shower rod without instructions. (Please don't say it; I already know what you're thinking!)

Thanks again for my Valentine's bowl. It is great, and I have already used it quite a bit.

It's surprising how many white Chevy trucks are on the road. I look for you in each one.

No comments: