Even though my calves are killing me--are you sure that I didn't just hike the Grand Canyon rather than a mere 740 steps to the top of Amicola Falls? (I can't imagine how your muscles must feel right now)--I intend to keep good on my promise to take care of Copper. I could tell that he needed the exercise, and I think it was good for my sore legs too. Todd and Ryan have already promised to throw the Aerobie for Copper after school, and I think I will have them take Copper up and down the street a couple of times as well. We all gave him extra petting this morning, and Copper even slept on the bed last night (for a while at least).
"Old Lumpy" came back home with us and is now resting on the couch. I just can't seem to make myself throw away your old pillow yet. Maybe next trash pick-up. Or the next.
I think we made a good decision to close your truck windows before we left. I heard some chattering in the garage, and went out a few minutes later to check on things. I saw that the wrens had gathered some nesting materials into the corner of the shelf above the back door next to the Coke bottles (same place as before).
I ran a little errand this morning. Copper was quicker than usual to jump at the chance for a ride. After turning onto our street on the way home I found myself looking to see if your truck was in the driveway. I have a feeling I will be doing that for a while.
While at the grocery story I bought the Family Size container of hummus. I will be eating the mess out of hummus while you are gone. That's a perk I had not considered. There won't be anyone around to tell me how much it (and my breath) stinks.
I had a lot on my mind last night, and of course a million things to unpack, tidy up, etc. Most of it I left for today, but I did take care of a few things. All things considered, I'm proud of myself for going to sleep no later than Midnight. I was curled up in bed with one of your pillows, Copper, and my heating pad. It was "freezing" last night. I can't imagine how you must be feeling, exposed in the wet and quite possibly freezing (without the quotation marks) weather.
I am still excited for you and hope that you are starting to feel a little better now, having gotten the emotional good-bye's behind you. I find myself anxious for an update from you. I want to hear all about your experiences on the trail. Call, text, e-mail, or comment soon. I miss you--but not so much that I want you give up your dream or enjoy it less. Enjoy it to the fullest!
Much love,
Becca
Update: First thing to break while you are away: Copper ran hard into the screen door. It's a mangled mess. At least we have another screen on the side bedroom door. I'll just switch the two. I knew there would be things that would come up, but did it have to be on the first full day? That's not encouraging.
No comments:
Post a Comment