On Wednesday, two weeks ago, Sigrid and I took a train to Nuernburg (Nuremberg). Our first stop was the tourism office where they gave us a city guide and a suggested walking route.
We walked through the Craftsmen's Courtyard at Koenigstor Tower, where there are small shops selling handmade glass, pewter, pottery, and more in a courtyard that is meant to remind you of the middle ages.

Nuernburg has a beautiful main street area, and I was surprised by how similar and how different these old Bavarian cities can feel at the same time.

Our walk down the Koenigstrasse took us to Lorenzkirche (St. Lawrence Church), which had very impressive carvings around the door.

We went to Nuernburg on a Wednesday, which is a market day. There were fruit stands, flower stands, cheese stands, craft stands, and cookie stands throughout the city. I love walking through the markets on a day as beautiful as the one we enjoyed. We were on a hunt for some good lebkuchen (a special German cookie). Nuernburg is know for their lebkucken, and there were many different stands selling them. We (Sigrid, of course) talked to a few women selling the cookies, looking for the best buy. We (me, of course) sampled some of the cookies and Sigrid ended up buying quite a bit for me to bring home to the families. Gary is a big fan of lebkuchen. Evidently, Brett likes them also. His mother made them often when he was growing up. And though Brett's favorite will also be chocolate chip cookies, and though the lebkuchen are a soft cookie with a lot of spices (they are a Christmas specialty), Brett still enjoyed the cookies I brought home. In memory of my trip to Nuernberg, I just ate and enjoyed the last lebkuchen while writing this post.
[Can you spot the dirndl in the picture below. I saw quite a few of them during my time in Bavaria. I would guess that I saw more during this time of Oktoberfest than I would see at a different time of year, but I'm not sure.]
I had never heard of "hops" before. Evidently I lead a sheltered life. I saw quite a few fields of hops from the Autobahn, and Pit explained that hops is (are?) used to make beer. I found the use of it in a wreath rather interesting.

This is the Fountain of Virtues (faith, hope, charity, courage, temperance, and patience, with justice on the top). It made me think of Anne.
Sigrid and I enjoyed a light meal outside at a cafe by the Hangman's Tower, overlooking this river--a very pleasant afternoon. Like Amberg, Nuernburg has its own pair of "spectacles."

I would recommend that you visit Germany when the sun in shining and the flowers are in full bloom. It certainly made my trip perfect!


One thing I enjoyed very much during my visit to Nuernburg was Sebalduskirche (St. Sebald Church). It was built around 1215 A.D., then destroyed like most of the city during World War II. Inside the church they had photos and poetry displaying some of the destruction and rebuilding of the church. I was struck by the destruction that the city endured. It made me feel so grateful for the relative peace that I have enjoyed in my own country. I recognize that even today this peace is not present everywhere. Our countrymen are risking their lives in other lands. However, I can go about my daily activities without fear of an air raid destroying my city and wiping out hundreds of years of history in a single day. I was very reflective as I walked through the church looking at the photos. I was sad, grateful, and hopeful at the same time.

I would recommend that you visit Germany when the sun in shining and the flowers are in full bloom. It certainly made my trip perfect!


One thing I enjoyed very much during my visit to Nuernburg was Sebalduskirche (St. Sebald Church). It was built around 1215 A.D., then destroyed like most of the city during World War II. Inside the church they had photos and poetry displaying some of the destruction and rebuilding of the church. I was struck by the destruction that the city endured. It made me feel so grateful for the relative peace that I have enjoyed in my own country. I recognize that even today this peace is not present everywhere. Our countrymen are risking their lives in other lands. However, I can go about my daily activities without fear of an air raid destroying my city and wiping out hundreds of years of history in a single day. I was very reflective as I walked through the church looking at the photos. I was sad, grateful, and hopeful at the same time.
Sigrid and I walked up the hill to the castle at Nuernburg. It afforded us a wonderful view of the city. Unfortunately, my camera's battery died and I forgot the spare. There was a beautiful little courtyard area with big shade trees. A perfect place for a rest and a little snack.



1 comment:
the fountain made you think of me? Explain?
maybe you were thinking of another anne? :)
Post a Comment