So, after going with her to the Metro (think grocery store and department store mixed with a little bit of Costco), Sigrid dropped me off at the local mall, the Donau Einkaufs Zentrum, for about three hours. I had a lot of fun just looking around. I managed to purchase something at four stores without too much difficulty, despite the fact that I do NOT know the language.
The lady at the first store asked me a question, to which I answered "Ich kann nicht Deutsch." ("I do no German.") I made it through the next two stores without having to say anything more than "Hallo" and "Tschüs." I was doing so well . . . until . . . the woman at the last store asked me something, I tried to reply in German then lost my focus and stumbled, "Sorry . . . no German." Ugh! I have got to learn this language!
That evening after supper Pit, Sigrid, Patrick and I went to see old Regensburg at night. We enjoyed a beautiful walk, followed by a rest at an outside cafe in front of the Dom (cathedral). I can't believe how well the weather is cooperating with me!
We also walked through a courtyard and Biergarten outside a hotel that was magical at night. You can't tell from the photos, but the courtyard was absolutely lovely.


My parents arrived the next morning. We had a late breakfast outside, after which we allowed them to take a nap before sightseeing. I enjoyed my first two days in Germany so well, that I decided to do the same thing for my parents. After their nap we went to old Regensburg, saw the Stone Bridge (built in the 12th century), climbed the tower by the Salt House, and looked over the Donau (Danube) River.

We then took the same one-hour boat tour on the Donau that Sigrid took me on.

The obligatory "Yes-I-was-really-there" photo:

The next morning we went to church. It was a tiny branch that had to use a rented space, but it was nice to be there. I was even able to play the organ for the service after hearing the following conversation between two men:
First man: Do you play the organ?
Second man: No.
First man: Would you like to?
I quickly volunteered to play for them and I think they (especially the second man) were very grateful.

After church we went back to Sigrid's for lunch before heading out to the city for more sight-seeing.
Our first stop in the city was one of the tallest towers in the middle of the city that you are able to climb. It afforded us another magnificent view.

Like the tower in Rothenburg, we had to climb up a number of stairs which got smaller the higher you climbed.

Like the tower in Rothenburg, we had to climb up a number of stairs which got smaller the higher you climbed.


The bell at the top of the tower was so big I could easily stand inside of it.

We continued on to see other sights, such as this painting of David and Goliath.

Beautiful flowers surrounding a fountain.

My father admires remains of a Roman wall from about 179 A.D.

My mom acting the tourist. (We won't talk about the fact that all my photos indicate I have also been acting the tourist in a big way.)

We finished our short walking tour in front of the Dom (cathedral). This photo is amazing to me. First of all, who would have thought that I would have been able to realize my dream of visiting Europe like this? And who would have thought that I would be able to share some of these experiences with my parents here? I feel so fortunate.

Before my parents left on Sunday they presented Pit and Sigrid a bottle of maple syrup and some maple sugar candy which they brought from New England. Pit and Sigrid were not familiar with maple syrup (how do they survive?!). My dad explained to them the process of making syrup, and while talking about the sugar maple trees they discovered that Pit and Sigrid had a maple in their back yard.
My dad asked me if I remembered "helicopters". Of course I do. We had to show Pit and Sigrid what we meant. Then Sigrid showed me what she did instead of playing "helicopters". She made an Einhorn. Can you guess what it is?

A unicorn, of course! Evidently, my mom did this as a child as well.
After my parents left and things quieted down the Plank family introduced me to a knew game: Inkognito. I loved it. Unfortunately, I did not play well because I was unwilling to take the necessary risks. I hope that I have learned from my experience and that we can play again to see if I am improved.


1 comment:
Looks like such a fun time! Mom and Dad both look GREAT in those photos (as do you for that matter)!
It's so fun to "watch" your adventures with you! I can't wait until your next post. :)
(Btw - Mike apparently has done both "helicopters" and the Unicorn. I never knew about the Unicorn - how fun!)
Post a Comment