The first thing on the list of things to do in Salzburg was buy some Salzburger Mozartkugeln ("Mozart balls"). They are special chocolates for those with sophisticated taste. In other words, they are made with dark chocolate and include marzipan in the filling. I am not that big of a fan. However, Sigrid introduced me to another chocolate made by the same folks called Mozarttaler. These are milk chocolate discs with a greater chocolate to marzipan ratio. I am a fan of these. Pit and Sigrid sent me home with about three bags of the balls and two bags of the discs. Don't tell Mark and Marianne, but I only gave them the Mozart balls and kept all the discs in my house. In fact, I think I'll eat one now. Mmmm.
We walked down the well-known Getreidegasse, a street known for its old iron signs.

There was a festival going on the weekend we were in Salzburg. There were some dancers performing in a courtyard.

We enjoyed stopping and watching them for a bit.

We walked through old Salzburg, making our way up and up and up to the Festung Hohensalzburg (the "High Salzburg Fortress").

We spent quite a bit of time touring the fortress. I thought this was an interesting door, and took a picture for Marianne, who loves edelweiss.

The fortress is on a hill in the middle of the old city. On a beautiful day like the one we enjoyed, you can't help but snap a photo from every angle.

Such beautiful views.


A beautiful city.

And quite breezy in some places. Sigrid and I sat down for a minute in front of a window in the fortress wall. Here the wind will cool you down quickly.

You can see the fortress on top of the hill in the background.

On our way back to Elke's house we stopped by Chiemsee, the location of another one of Ludwig II's castles. By the time we got there it was a little too late to take the ferry to the island in this lake where the castle Herrenchiemsee is located. It had also started to cool down quite a bit. We walked along the shore of the lake for a bit before getting back on the road.



No comments:
Post a Comment