Thursday, October 8, 2009

Germany - Oktoberfest

All those who know me know that I am not a beer drinker. However, it would stupid to come to Germany for the first time during Oktoberfest and not check it out. Elke was very excited to intruduce me to it. And since I had already bought my dirndl with Sigrid, I was fully prepared to go. As it happens, Patrick was the only one in our group who did not dress "appropriately."
In the Photo: Me, Elke's friend Julia, Elke's boyfriend Martin, Elke, Martin's friend Martin.

In the morning before we left Elke's apartment, Elke's boyfriend Martin offered to show me Lake Starnburg while we were waiting for the others to arrive. He drove me to the lake and we walked by Sisi's impressive summer residence. However, it was quite foggy by the water, and we were only able to see a few feet past the shore. Still, it was an enjoyable activity for the morning, and I was happy to get to know Martin a little better. I was so pleased that his English is so good and that we were able to communicate well. He tried very hard to make me feel comfortable while I was there. Elke's and Martin's friends Julia and Martin did not speak English well, and Elke and Martin were such good sports acting as translators throughout the day. (I approve, Elke--Martin's a very nice boy.)

Though it started out foggy in the morning, by the time we got to Munich the sun had come out and I felt a little overdressed in my tights and boots. I may even have gotten a little too much sun that day. (Coming home from Germany with too much sun?!? Who would've thunk?)

Martin participated in a couple of the games and was successful in winning his girl a little stuffed animal. Good job!

Martin was also kind enough to make sure I got to see inside two of the huge beer tents at the Oktoberfest. They were packed! We chose to eat lunch at one of the picnic tables outside instead.
No, I did not have any beer, but I did try my first Spezi. It's a cola-orange Fanta mix that is very popular. I am not a fan of cola, and I wasn't a fan of Spezi.

Patrick, Elke, Martin, and Julia went through an attraction called "Psychedelic." I love this groovy photo of them. (Julia didn't make it in the photo, so we used a stand-in.)

We walked around most of the Oktoberfest, and were able to see one of the horse-drawn beer wagons.
Oktoberfest is huge. There were lots of food stands, carnival games, and amusement rides. Not just little amusement rides, but full-sized roller coasters. Four of us chose to ride the ferris wheel.

I had not been on a ferris wheel since I was a kid. We had a good view of the grounds. Holy smokes! There are a ton of people there!

The ferris wheel had enclosed carts. I found that I was wanting a little more thrill--some wind in my hair at least. He really didn't want to do it, but I managed to talk Patrick into riding the high swings with me.

Again, we had a great view of the Oktoberfest. And I felt the wind in my hair. Aaaah. Fun!

We had been walking around most of the afternoon, but walked a little more to the center of old Munich where we go a bite to eat before taking the train back to the car. I love the flowers on this building.

Sigrid swears that I can pass for a Bavarian in my dirndl. Unfortunately, as soon as I open my mouth it's clear I'm not from around here. I did have fun dressing the part though.

No comments: