Thursday, October 8, 2009

Germany - Biking Through Regensburg

Every so often after some early mornings, we would allow ourselves a little break to catch up on some sleep. The Thursday after our trip to Nuernburg was one of those days. Not only did I sleep in, I even stayed in bed another hour reading a book (in English--after two weeks of studying maps and guides and dictionaries and hearing and seeing mostly German, I was ready for some fluff). What a luxury!

The day was a little cooler and cloudier than most of my days in Germany, but still a pleasant day for a bike ride into Regensburg.


I went on a tour of the Thurn & Taxis castle while Sigrid bought a book and had an ice cream in town. I missed the live English tour by a day. (They discontinue the English tours for Fall/Winter.) So I joined a German tour with an pre-recorded English audio tour. Although I enjoyed the tour and learned more about the castle and the history of the family, I felt a little left out when the knowledgeable and lively German tour guide made the group laugh. My audio guide certainly never made me laugh. Yet another reason to learn German!

Sigrid met me back at the castle after the tour, and we took the bikes through the old city and along the Donau River.

It was a lovely ride--definitely something I would like to do again.

We rode up and over a bridge the trains use to cross the river. We were even lucky enough to have a train pass by us. That was quite a thrill to have a speeding train pass you by while you are meters above the river. Completely safe and a little exciting. A good combination. (The train looks like it's going slow in this picture. Trust me, it's fast. Sometimes my camera does a decent job of catching an object in motion without being fuzzy.)

We continued our bike ride on other the other side of the river and came back using another train bridge. From there we were able to see the first bridge. The climb up to the bridge was a little tough (we had to walk our bikes up for the last stretch), but the views were well worth it.

And though I was sore for day or so after our ride, this is a day I would love to repeat.

No comments: