
This is a poem that I remember my Grama reading to me as a little girl. Eventually, the collection of children's poems that she read from was given to me. I think I was the grandchild that showed the most interest in it. However, the book is not in the best condition, and I found that I had to store it on a high shelf to prevent the boys from making it worse. As a result, I don't pull it down as often as I should. Two of the other poems I remember my Grama reading to us were, "Over the River and Through the Woods" (which she would often sing as well) and "Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod" (a poem that I need to go back and start reading again to my boys).
A couple of years ago I committed "The Sugar-Plum Tree" to memory. I used to recite it to Todd quite often as a quick bedtime story. I would try to be animated as I recited it, and I would point out things in the illustration that would help him better understand the poem.
A few Christmases ago, I got the book "Believe: A Christmas Treasury," illustrated by Mary Engelbreit. I love it. I love the sweet and colorful drawings. I love the way the textured red cover feels in your hands. I love that the collection includes some of my Christmas favorites: verses 1-20 of Luke 2 (King James Version), "Dear Virginia," "A Visit From St. Nicholas," "Over the River and Through the Woods," and the lyrics of a number of Christmas songs. But the thing that excited me most about the collection was that it included "The Sugar-Plum Tree."
It has been about a year since I have read the poem. I pulled out the Christmas treasury last week, and I have been trying to read some of it to the boys every evening that I can. I was so delighted to read "The Sugar-Plum Tree" with them again. We have already read it a few times together. Last night Todd was anticipating what would happen next in the poem and was using his hands to act it out. I think he is trying to memorize it with me. After we ended the poem, "And I'll rock you away to that Sugar-Plum Tree In the garden of Shut-Eye Town," he asked me to rock him (holding him while I stood up!) and sing, "Rock A-Bye Baby." I love that this poem can inspire such sweetness.
THE SUGAR-PLUM TREE
by: Eugene Field (1850-1895)
Have you ever heard of the Sugar-Plum Tree?
'Tis a marvel of great renown!
It blooms on the shore of the Lollipop sea
In the garden of Shut-Eye Town;
The fruit that it bears is so wondrously sweet
(As those who have tasted it say)
That good little children have only to eat
Of that fruit to be happy next day.
When you 've got to the tree, you would have a hard time
To capture the fruit which I sing;
The tree is so tall that no person could climb
To the boughs where the sugar-plums swing!
But up in that tree sits a chocolate cat,
And a gingerbread dog prowls below--
And this is the way you contrive to get at
Those sugar-plums tempting you so:
You say but the word to that gingerbread dog
And he barks with such terrible zest
That the chocolate cat is at once all agog,
As her swelling proportions attest.
And the chocolate cat goes cavorting around
From this leafy limb unto that,
And the sugar-plums tumble, of course, to the ground--
Hurrah for that chocolate cat!
There are marshmallows, gumdrops, and peppermint canes,
With stripings of scarlet or gold,
And you carry away of the treasure that rains
As much as your apron can hold!
So come, little child, cuddle closer to me
In your dainty white nightcap and gown,
And I 'll rock you away to that Sugar-Plum Tree
In the garden of Shut-Eye Town.
2 comments:
ooh i love that poem!
I've decided that next year for Christmas I want to make my own sugarplum tree instead of a gingerbread house. It would include lollipops, marshmallows, a gingerbread cookie dog, and a chocolate sugar cookie cat, etc. Not quite sure whether I could make the tree 3D. I'll have to do some more thinking on that. What do you think?
Post a Comment