Sunday, November 23, 2008

School Rhymes

How is it that these rhymes have been passed down perfectly from generation to generation? I don't know exactly who is teaching them to Todd, but he has been coming home repeating some of the rhymes I learned at school.

It's raining. It's pouring.
The old man is snoring.

Missed me. Missed me.
Now you gotta kiss me.

Trick or treat. Smell my feet.
Give me something good to eat.
If you don't. I don't care.
I'll pull down your underwear.
[Todd didn't want to repeat the last line in front of me, because it had a "bad word".]

Liar, Liar, pants on fire.
Hang them up on a telephone wire.
[I don't think I've heard Todd repeating the second line. Maybe he hasn't learned it yet, or maybe he doesn't know what a telephone wire is.]

One I haven't heard yet from Todd, but expect to in the new few weeks:
Jingle Bells, Batman smells.
Robin laid an egg....
[I actually don't even remember the rest of the verse! We'll see if Todd can teach me.]

1 comment:

beccatemecula said...

It happened. On Christmas I heard Todd singing the first two altered lines of Jingle Bells. Where did he learn it?
His cousin, Kellie!

I think if I really want to know the rest of the verse, I'll have to ask one of my older brothers. I have a feeling that they both will know it.