Oh, what a crazy and interesting conversation I had with Ryan last night. Todd was nearby--all ears, I'm sure--but it was with Ryan that the phrase "goo blob" was introduced to describe the beginning of life. How we got there is difficult to explain. It started out with Ryan sharing and asking a lot of questions related to his non-fiction library book on UFOs. One thing led to another and pretty soon the conversation moved from alien abductions to pregnancy and the beginnings and growth of a baby in the womb. (Don't ask.) I tried to explain how small we begin, but how all of the information is there from the beginning to grow into the form that we recognize as babies. Ryan came up with the idea of goo, since we have no bones at that point. Towards the end of the conversation I asked Ryan if he wanted to see some pictures of what babies look like as they are growing. He enthusiastically replied in the affirmative.
Now I am wondering, "What was I thinking?"
I have a booklet that I kept from my pregnancy days called, "As Your Baby Grows: From Conception to Birth." It has photos that show month-by-month growth and development. It is a little intense, but I already know that Ryan will eat it up. He has such a curiosity when it comes to learning things about science and how things work. He is very much like his dad in that respect. I also know that it will lead to more questions. Thus the question I now ask myself, "What was I thinking?"
Wish me luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment