Friday, April 6, 2012

For Brett, From Home (4/6/12)

I'm missed being able to talk to you much this week. I know you haven't had good cell phone coverage. I hope that I am available when you get into Damascus. This will be a busy weekend, but I'd love to catch up.

I still haven't been able to see how many wrens are in the nest. I keep trying to peek in every now and then, but all I see is a dark mass of down and feathers. I do know there is one less wren baby than Mommy Wren hoped for. I saw that an unhatched egg was kicked out of the nest last night. Tiny egg. With this being Easter and seeing all of the candy around, the wren egg is so small it looks more like candy than the real thing to me. I have a feeling that there are not as many wren babies as we have seen in the past. They just seem quieter this year, and mom and dad don't seem as busy feeding. Maybe that's a good thing when it comes to the clean-up. Ryan came home from school earlier this week having a bad day. Near tears he told me how he had accidentally poked himself in the eye with his pencil at school, everybody (i.e. Todd) was ignoring him, and to top it all off he stepped in bird poop in the garage! Poor kid! (You think someone is tired?) I have noticed that the wren parents have been cleaning nest more frequently and I do try to clean up when I notice it. But you definitely need to watch where you step.

Copper has now run off three times since we got home from Spring Break. I already told you that he didn't come the second time until after midnight. After falling asleep with no Copper at home, I woke up, checked and happily found him outside and let him in--at 2:30 in the morning. Then, on Tuesday this week he ran off in the afternoon when he was outside alone for less than a minute. Ryan brought me his old "Lost Dog" poster and told me the bad news. Luckily, we drove around and found him quickly (on Lakeway). He was wet, and even though I had bathed him just the day before (!!!) he got another bath. I have told the boys that we simply can not trust him outside at all. I really am trying to give him exercise, but I think he misses you and the extra attention you give him.

I felt terrible this morning when I took Copper for a walk. He looked like he was limping a little, but I checked his paws and didn't see anything suspicious. We continued our walk, and he didn't seem like he was really limping anymore. But, I kept our walk a little shorter and didn't push him. When we got home I noticed blood on the kitchen floor. The poor boy had scraped his pad. It wasn't bleeding when I checked his paw at the beginning of the walk, but there was no missing it by the time we got back home. I'm so sorry, Copper!

Todd finished his 8th card in Mile Club yesterday (40 miles this year), and as far as I know he's still in the lead. I think it's funny that Todd is such a good runner and obviously doesn't mind running like his parents do.

I'm trying to update your A.T. blog, but I have so many pictures from you now that it's kind of hard to go back and add them all. I'm also not sure how to handle transcribing your journal. I think I may just keep up with my trail updates and simply transcribe your journal into a Word document.

My family is starting to plan and get excited about James' wedding in June. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. James expressed it perfectly in his e-mail to all of us: "So a few people have expressed interest in doing some family stuff before the actual wedding, and I think that would be great. I'm not exactly sure what and/or when, but even hanging out, playing games and eating ham sandwiches sounds like fun when Mitchell siblings are involved" (emphasis added).

I'm interested to hear how your feet are faring. I really hope you're getting used to the new shoes and that your blisters from the old shoes are healing. Please take care of yourself.
Love, Becca

No comments: