Seriously, why not?
I hate to run. In fact, I typically view exercise of any sort as a chore. But I will skate: specifically in-line skating or Rollerblading.
I like to feel the wind blowing against my face as I move along. I like the smooth, fluid motions. Remember, too, how it can feel like dancing? I love coasting down a hill, quickly skating from side-to-side, imagining that I am skiing. Occasionally, I like trying to see how long I can balance skating on one foot. I would like to try more "tricks" and practice skating backwards, but I am too chicken to do much of that on the road with my dog, where I do most of my skating.
Doesn't that sound like fun? People often tell me that it looks fun. And it is.
But don't let the fun fool you. It is a workout, too. I come back from my skate sweating, with my heart-pumping and with legs that feel tired from good work. I like that you can take it easy or really push yourself to move and work hard. I like that I can work hard without getting a cramp. (Did I mention I hate running?) I like that my dog gets a better workout when I skate, too. He is still panting from our outing. That's a good thing. He is more content when he's had time to be active.
So why don't I ever see people skating--with or without a dog? I see people walking, running, and biking all the time. I hear friends talk about Zumba and going to the gym. But I don't know another person who skates. (With the exception of my neighbor who just started skating me once a week after seeing me skate with Copper in the mornings.)
Is it because you don't have good skates? Invest in them. I am sure you have spent more on your running shoes, your bike, or your gym membership over the years than I have on a good pair of Rollerblades. I have had my Rollerblades for about 13 years. While I (rather, Brett) have replaced the wheels a few times, replaced the brake (from Brett's own unused skates), and have glued the boot back into the frame more than once, my skates have served me well. I have happily used them up and buying a new, good quality pair of skates is a priority for me this year.
Perhaps you feel foolish? I still have moments (like today) when my balance is tested and I have to do the big arm wave to stay in control. No big deal. Copper and I do great skating together, but occasionally he catches a whiff of something and has to check it out. Now.
Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they see this woman skating with her golden retriever: "Does she think she's twelve?" or "Aawww. How sweet." or maybe, "Good for her."? I bet I wouldn't get such an enthusiastic wave from the school bus driver who passes by if I were running.
Who skates anymore?
I do. And I'm proud to say it.
Won't you join me?
No comments:
Post a Comment