School started back up on Monday--only our family enjoyed two extra vacation days. Okay, they were really sick days, but it was kind of a vacation for me. Todd came down with a stomach bug Sunday night/Monday morning. Monday was a quiet day for us. Todd spent the whole day lying on the couch or taking a nap. Ryan was a little wired and had a hard time balancing between wanting to spend time with Todd and wanting to run, climb, play, and talk at a high decibel. In the end he decided that sitting on the couch watching two long movies wasn't such a bad deal.
I was so proud of Todd and told him that he was a trooper more than once. When I first used the word "trooper" Todd thought that I was referring in some way to Star Wars. I had to explain to him that in this case a trooper was someone who was fighting to stay positive and happy despite a difficult situation--like when he was standing over the toilet and smiled up at me between throwing up. We had some sweet conversations at 2:00 in the morning, him in the bathroom and me cleaning up the rug in the hallway. Even on Monday when he was too feverish to move (I carried him to his bed or back to the couch more than once.) he was still pleasant to be around and welcomed the gentle attentions and kind words that I offered him.
Today was a different story. Todd still needed a little time before he was ready to go back to school. But he started asking for breakfast as soon as I got up (a good sign that he was feeling better). And he was ready to make up for the playtime he missed yesterday. At dinner both Todd and Ryan were wired and I was struggling to keep my calm between the interruptions, noise, and general craziness. They both left their dinners half-finished (a few too many before-dinner snacks at Oma's, perhaps?) when I ushered them into the tub.
Brett got home from work just after I got the boys into the bath. He asked, "What's up? Everything okay?" There was only one accurate answer. "Yes. The boys have just been too . . . cheerful!"
No comments:
Post a Comment