Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In a Panic

When you talk to your kids about what to do in an emergency, or what to do when there's a fire, or what to do when something else might happen, you're never sure whether they are going to remember what you discussed earlier.

While I don't wish to experience some of the emergencies we have discussed with our kids (please, let me never experience a house fire!), I was so happy to see how Todd reacted this afternoon when we had a hiccup in our schedule.

Because Todd missed the first two days of school, he also missed the reminder that this third day of school was an early release day. Because I just got my new 2009 calendar and have not yet updated my appointments and other notable activities, I did not remember that this was to be an early release day. Having been cooped up for a few days, I was ready to get out and do a little shopping. (I especially wanted to see if there was anything good left in the Lenox outlet store that is closing in the next week.) I planned on being gone most of the day.

At about the exact time that Todd was released from school today I felt a lurch and just knew that it was an early release. Unfortunately, I was a good 30-plus minutes from home. I called the school to verify (yes, the students had already been released), then called Oma. Although Todd was not there yet, in a matter of 5 minutes or so Todd was at Oma's and I was able to talk to him on the phone. For those 15-20 minutes it took me to get to my phone and make the calls and find my child, I was in a panic. What relief I felt when I was assured that all was well!

What made me feel so good was to see how Todd handled the situation. Based on what Todd and Oma told me, and based on the evidence I found when I got back home Todd kept his cool the whole time.

Here is what I think he did:
First, he got into the house and looked for Mom. The last place he checked was my bedroom, where he dumped his backpack.

Next, he dumped his coat in the bathroom and took a little potty break.

He proceeded to the desk where he retrieved a piece of scrap paper.

Then he took his paper into the kitchen and wrote a note. He wrote me a NOTE! I couldn't be more proud--even if the note doesn't include what his plans are.

After seeing that Casie and Kellie were not yet back from school he continued on to Oma's. I love having family so close!
While I never hope to repeat this scenario again, I am happy to see that Todd was paying attention to our plan and that he wasn't scared about what to do. I do hope that I am raising a strong, independent individual.

What important things were Ryan and I doing? Shopping and playing on the playground with Maddie and Wyatt.
Ryan's favorite part about the whole day was that Mom gave in and bought a storm trooper mask with a costume that was 50% off at the K.B. Toy store going out of business. He is currently outside wearing his costume and playing with Logan who has dressed up in his own Buzz Lightyear Halloween costume. I love it.

1 comment:

Madawyh said...

I forgot to tell you that I couldn't remember what time Maddie got out of preschool on Tuesday and was 20 minutes late picking her up because I really thought it was at 130!