After two long months, I have finally refilled my birdfeeders. The poor birds suffered neglect during the most giving season of the year. I guess I didn't have much left to give them. But, really, not only will they will survive--it doesn't even look like they hold a grudge.
The fruits of a filled birdfeeder are almost immediate. This morning around 7:30am my backyard was quite active. It will filled with mourning doves, northern cardinals (male and female), blue jays, red-bellied woodpeckers (whose "red" belly is hard to see, but who does have a red head, though it's not really a red-headed woodpecker--can it be more confusing?), house finches, carolina wrens, carolina chickadees, and northern mockingbirds. And don't forget the squirrels who were trying (with minimal success) to defend their personal feeder. I have two hanging feeders and one platform feeder attached to a tree trunk. Typically, if I keep the platform feeder filled the squirrels are content to stay there and won't bother the hanging feeders. It's easier than trying to squirrel-proof everything, which is impossible.
To the birdies I say: Welcome Back!
No comments:
Post a Comment