Thursday, January 8, 2009

Soggy Rats

It's been a little while since I shared some Ryan sayings. I love the way little minds see things. I love how Ryan uses the word "soggy" to described anything from blurry photos to dirty sunglasses.
"Oh, that's not a good picture. It's too soggy."
and "I washed the glasses on my storm trooper helmet with water because it was getting soggy."

I also think it's funny how once kids start learning what allergies are they try to use that to their advantage. Since Uncle Mark has been back home during the Christmas break we have talked about allergies a little more frequently. One day at dinner Ryan announced that he was allergic to water. That will be tough, Ryan! The interpretation of that statement is, "I would rather have milk or juice to drink at dinner than plain, old water." His self-proclaimed allergy to water didn't get him anywhere, so he gave it up after a few days.

However, he soon developed a new allergy: that of rats. As in, "Yeah. I'm allergic to rats. If I eat a rat, I'll DIE." [It makes me so sad that I can't convey the tone of voice when I am sharing Ryan stories. He will matter-of-factly say the first part of the sentence. Then on the word "die" his inflection and facial expression changes in such a humorous way. This is what I am afraid of forgetting as he gets older.]

Ryan developed his allergy of rats about a month ago, but I had not heard how he was faring for two weeks or so. I was talking about both real and pretend allergies with another mom at Wyatt's birthday party. I couldn't remember the very funny allergy Ryan had. So, I called Ryan over and simply asked him, "Ryan, what are you allergic to?" Without hesitation he answered "Rats!" This was obviously not just some passing fancy. Hopefully, we will be able to move on through childhood without any complications or hospitalizations as a result of this allergy.

No comments: