Thursday, June 26, 2008

Making Tracks to Great Destinations

I remember visiting a toy store when Todd was a baby and passing by the Thomas the Tank Engine products. I swore I would never get into buying all of that stuff for my little boy, no matter how cute it was. Too expensive!

I guess I can eat my words now, considering the collection that we have accumulated. Granted, it is not all Thomas brand (thank goodness all the wooden tracks are compatible!). And, it sure doesn't seem like you're spending that much money when you only buy things that are on sale, or use the 40% and 50% off coupons, or receive things as gifts--especially when you add to your collection over the course of three years.

From the time that I bought that first off-brand starter set at Target when Todd was 2 1/2 years old, the trains and train tracks have been a hit. Todd's interest in building his tracks has continued, and his ability to engineer elaborate track designs has amazed us. He can build a track in the early part of a morning with no help from anyone else.
Brett keeps telling me to slow down, to not add another piece to our collection. He reasons that we have enough already (...true) and that Todd's interest could fade at any moment (...also true). But how can I resist buying a piece here or there for birthdays, Christmas, or other special occasions when both Todd and Ryan pore over the Thomas catalogs, request to watch the Thomas movies frequently, play the games on the Internet, then talk about the characters and the funny things they do that make them laugh.

The way I see it, I am encouraging Todd to develop his talents and natural abilities by providing him what he needs to create and enjoy these masterpieces. Not only does he build the track, he really enjoys playing with the engines and actively uses his imagination while playing.

[Besides, the boys don't have any diesel engines yet (only "steamies"), Salty really is a funny character . . . and Barnes & Noble had them marked in the clearance bin for 50% off. It was a deal I couldn't pass up!]

1 comment:

Madawyh said...

i just showed this picture to mike and he was majorly impressed! He said you need to get him some more tracks!