Thursday, June 11, 2009

Battleship

Last Saturday I went to a few garage sales with my sister-in-law, Donna. Donna has some great luck at garage sales. I don't go often enough to have come across a lot of great things, but I've gotten lucky a few times. I came home with two things last week from a garage sale for Todd: a Nike bat bag [maybe I'll get around to posting about his first Little League season] and the game Battleship. Todd is a game-lover, and this is a game that I remember playing a lot as a kid. I knew Todd would enjoy it.

In fact, Todd loved it. We played it as a family on Sunday--Daddy and Todd versus Mommy and Ryan. Dad couldn't keep up with the pace of the game--or couldn't keep down with the pace? Things were moving rather slowly as we were trying to let the boys be as involved in the game as possible. Brett lasted through one game, then we had to call cousin Kellie over to continue in Brett's place. After another game or so, Todd was able to play independently.

Todd came down with a fever and was feeling pretty miserable on Tuesday. However, he was not feeling too miserable for a few games of Battleship. He woke up in the morning asking to play. After he watched Wall-E he asked to play a game. Then about two-thirds of the way through Horton Hears a Who Todd asked if he could take a break from the movie to play Battleship. We don't often let the boys watch full-length movies in one sitting, especially in the middle of the day--let alone two! Sick days are the exception. So, for Todd to want to stop in the middle of the movie is saying something. [What exactly it's saying, I'm not sure. The movie wasn't so good? He was tired of laying in one spot for so long? He loves the game Battleship? Or all of the above?...I think he loves the game Battleship.]

Todd suggested that this was a perfect game to bring to Maine with his cousins. It does seem like a good travel game, with the exception of all those tiny pegs that I know would scatter all over the car or airplane. I was thrilled when I came across this as I was "researching" for this blog post. A paper version of Battleship! That really is perfect for a long car or plane ride. I don't think Todd's quite ready to play the paper version yet, but it's something I will definitely introduce him to when he is.

No comments: