Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Mourning a Loss of . . . Hair

About a month ago Ryan asked Daddy if Daddy would cut Ryan's hair short like Daddy's. Daddy thought this was a great idea. Mommy didn't. Mommy outlawed any cutting of the hair before our trip to Maine for our family reunion. That was agreed and complied with.

However, after we got back from Maine I immediately left for Girls Camp. When I got back from camp my sister-in-law said that almost every day Ryan asked if she would cut his hair because "it's too long." She would snip off a little around the neck or ears, but nothing more. Ryan was not satisfied.

On Sunday Ryan asked Daddy again to cut his hair, reminding him that we had returned from Maine. Daddy told Ryan that he had just taken a shower and didn't want to do it when he was still clean. So, as soon as Daddy came home from work last night Ryan popped the question again. "Daddy, can you cut my hair short? You're still dirty now." How could Daddy argue with that? Ryan had patiently been waiting a month to get his hair cut. Mommy was hoping that the idea would just be a passing fancy, but it was not to be.

Daddy got the clippers and went to work. Ryan was thrilled. Daddy was having a great time. Mommy was not. Brett reminded me that they kept it long for the family reunion and I had no reason to complain. I told him that I still had the right to mourn the loss of my baby (again). He has such soft hair that is so nice to run your fingers through. He ages three years when his hair is cut so short. Plus, he looks like a redneck.
Daddy told Ryan about all of the advantages of short hair. The two had a great time. Even though Ryan knew that Mommy wasn't excited about it, it did not curb his (or Daddy's) enthusiasm. [Daddy was having so much fun he didn't even mind me snapping these photos.]
One reason Ryan was excited about having his hair cut short is because now he can be like not only Daddy, but like his beloved cousin Adam as well as Ben.
Last night as I was putting Ryan to bed he tried to offer me a little comfort. "Mommy, I'm still your baby. . . . Am I still your baby?" Yes, Ryan, you are. With that I sang three lullabies of my choosing: "Sleep My Darling, Good Night" ("Brahms' Lullaby"), "Rock-a-Bye Baby", "All the Pretty Little Horses".
It'll grow back quickly, right? Right??

No comments: