Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trip to Maine - Special Sunday Visitor

We went to Church in Portsmouth today with my mom. Imagine our surprise when we walked into the chapel and saw Elder Dallin H. Oaks, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles sitting on the stand. He happened to be visiting New England with his wife on vacation. We had good sacrament meeting speakers who talked about the importance of learning, especially spiritual learning. Elder Oaks finished up the meeting with an impromptu talk, something I'm sure is asked to do all the time. It was a great talk, continuing with the subject of learning, etc.

One thing that he said that really hit me was about receiving answers to prayer. He said that we are unlikely to get an answer to prayer unless we pray "with real intent" or "with full purpose of heart"--meaning that we pray being committed to act on the answer we receive, regardless of what the answer may be. He gave the example of someone who reads the Book of Mormon and follows the promise in Moroni 10:4-5: ask with real intent whether the things that you have read are true, and the truth will be made known unto you. Unless you are willing to act on the answer that you receive (that the Book of Mormon is true, that you are willing to be baptised, and change your life according to the truth you have received) you may not receive any answer because you have not sincerely asked with real intent.

Our lesson in Sunday School was about being "converted unto the Lord" - another great lesson. We had a lot of good conversation. I even participated with a few comments though I was visiting and didn't know anyone outside of my own family.

I am so glad that I went to church today. The messages were great, and I got to shake the hand of an apostle (and his wife). I'm glad that I didn't skip out on church even though I'm on vacation. I am sorry that I will be traveling next Sunday and won't be able to attend my meetings. I really do feel like something is missing on those days that I am unable to attend church.

No comments: