The boys were great on the plane. Todd talked non-stop. There was so much to see and talk about. Here the boys pose (Ryan is trying out a new posed smile) in the plane.

Even though we got in to Boston rather late-much past their bedtime-they were still excited and happy, and we had very little whining. They both eventually fell asleep in the rental car on the way to my parents' house. I was a little nervous about driving through Boston and finding my destination. My motto when I arrived was, "Getting lost is not the same thing as taking a few wrong turns." As you can guess, I did take a few wrong turns, but at no time did I lose a sense of where I was and where I was going. I merely took the scenic route, and it didn't even take me that much longer-I would guess no more than a half hour.
My parents live on an island right on the border between Maine and New Hampshire in an old Victorian home which they are in the process of remodeling. (I'll post more about the house later.) I had forgotten so much about New England. I lived in Massachusetts when I was in elementary school, but I haven't been back to visit in about twenty years. I enjoy driving by and seeing all of the old homes--so many beautiful Victorian homes. I still haven't figured out where I am going most of the time, and I would much rather be the passenger so I could check them out a little better. Regardless, I have still managed to do enough rubber-necking to realize that I would really like more time to do a walking tour, or maybe a leisurely Sunday drive. Hmmm, tomorrow's Sunday....
Because my parents are in the process are completely remodeling the house, we find that we are working in smaller quarters as far as preparing and eating meals are concerned. I haven't even been motivated to make any of my yummy breakfasts yet. For now I have been fine with cold cereal each morning. We had a nice breakfast this morning with some of the cousins. It will be interesting to see how meals go when we have more of the aunts and uncles at the table together. It is possible that we could have a family meal with twenty-one people together. Fortunately, my mom is already working on more seating arrangements to accommodate us all.
I was thinking about making some sarcastic remark about how we also had to fend for ourselves as far as sleeping arrangements go, but that is neither fair nor accurate. The truth is, I just thought this photo was so cute I had to include it. I am comfortably secured with a roomy bedroom to share with only Todd and Ryan. But some of us (like two-year-old Afton) are happy to take a nap wherever they happen to crash.
My parents' house is right on the water. There is so much difference in the tides here compared with the Gulf Coast. This first picture was taken of the house from a little boat which my dad rented for the week. It was taken close to high tide.
This next picture was taken of the house from a little island that you can walk to at low tide.
The boys, especially Todd, think this is the coolest thing. Todd had been wanting to walk to the island for a while, but we had missed the low tide in the mornings because it had been too early. We had missed the low tide in the evenings because we had been out and about doing other activities. They were finally able to walk to the island last night. We had just come home and I looked out the window and saw the path exposed. I called out to the boys, "Put your shoes on. We're going for a walk." We didn't get to stay long because the tide was coming in an I felt a little nervous about getting stuck. This morning the same thing happened. As soon as we woke up I told the boys to get their shoes on and we walked out there. It was about an hour past low tide, and I could already tell that the water was getting higher, so we didn't get to stay but a few minutes again. Next week the low tide should be a little later in the morning, which will be perfect for a longer adventure.
I couldn't believe how many (dead/empty) mussel shells there were on this low tide pathway. To be honest, it kind of creeped me out walking over them. I went over the first time in my flip flops, which wasn't a good idea. This morning I put on tennis shoes and that was a little better. I know it's just psychological. I told my mom that the sound and feel beneath my shoes gave me the heebie-jeebies and she thought that was really strange. So, I guess it's a personal problem. No one else seems to be bothered by it.

Todd and Ryan have also had a great time playing by the shore with their cousins at any tide. This is taken from the shore towards the little island close to high tide. There is a naval base in the background where they service submarines. Brett thinks it's kind of strange to have this as part of your waterfront view, but it has really been fun spending time at the shore. There are so many interesting things to see between the cranes, lobster boats, bridges, etc.
The favorite activity for the boy cousins by far has been throwing rocks into the water. I'm not sure what the fascination is in this activity, but the boys have had a great time doing it. I hope that by the time we leave Grandma Donna doesn't notice a big difference in her shoreline.
Their cousins had already started a collection of shells, crab parts, rocks, and other things that they have found on the shore. Todd and Ryan have enjoyed adding to it.
I mentioned that my dad rented a boat for the week. It is a little boat which he rented from the Navy for a great deal. For being such a small boat, it can hold quite a few little kids. I have been able to go with them once and look forward to another longer cruise next week.
Todd wanted me to take this picture with two of the three big bridges near my my parents' house. The bridge in the foreground is a drawbridge, something which Todd thinks is very cool.
This photo, also taken at the request of Todd is of the third big bridge here-also a drawbridge. The boys were able to watch this one in action yesterday and I think we will be taking a walk to see it in action again. It was a big hit.
The boys thought picture of the cormorant hanging out on the buoy was funny and asked me to include it.
Todd, Emily, and I enjoyed a nice little walk over to a memorial park with this sculpture as you enter Maine.
In this photo, taken from the park you can see the little bridge in the foreground going to the island where my parents live, and the drawbridge in the back taking you off the island.
I'd like to consider this post my teaser. Basically, we're in Maine. We're having a fun time staying at my parents' house. The boys are having a great time playing with their cousins. And I look forward to enjoying more activities in the area. We have hit a Maine beach already as well as eaten lobster, and I hope to post about this and more in the near future.
I am so grateful that I have this opportunity (and others) to see and experience parts of this great nation. It is amazing how many differences there can be in the land, the beaches and waterways, the architecture, the streets, the history, and more. I am happy where I live, but I am glad that I am also able to see and recognize the beauty and the advantages of other regions as well. I still have a week here, but already I can feel that my time is short, and I look forward to more visits to New England in the future.
P.S. Sorry about the poor quality in some of these photos. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I probably won't attempt to correct it at this point.
2 comments:
What beautiful pictures and storytelling becca - now I am feeling even more wanderlust as I sit here in hot, steamy florida hating it.
Do you think your mom would be offended if I hopped in the car and drove up there tomorrow? It would probably take me a week to get there...
We miss you and the boys - please tuck us into your suitcases next time :)
Just a few more days and I'll be there, too!!
I can't wait to see everyone. Also, that picture of Afton is *SO* cute. I'll have to steal it from you.
Post a Comment