My oldest loves to play games. He is also starting to blend sounds and do other pre-reading skills. I picked up a game called Silly Sentences a few months ago. It has cardboard pieces that you use to build a sentence. There are a number of nouns, some adjectives, two prepositions (on, over), four verbs, the articles (a, the), and a bunch of periods.
Todd set it up on the dining room table yesterday afternoon and all three of us (Todd, Ryan and I) played it together. Todd was able to put together his own sentences. I put together sentences for Todd to read, and I helped Ryan choose words for his sentences. He had just made the sentence: "The scary dinosaur ate a crocodile." Then he wanted the dinosaur to do something different. So I told him about his choice of verbs: climbed, jumped, ate, and saw.
Ryan: Oh yeah. Saw, I want saw
Becca: The scary dinosaur saw a crocodile.
Ryan: No, not "saw"--"sawed."
Becca: Saw.
Ryan: No--"sawed." The scary dinosaur sawed a crocodile.
Becca: You mean "saw" like "cut with a saw"?
Ryan: [using hand motions] Yes, "sawed."
Sorry, Ryan, this game is rated G!
1 comment:
A man with an imagination...can't go wrong with that. And, for the record, I think it's funny that you call it "imaginative play." HELLO...they're all dressing up. Of course, I'm one to talk. Joseph dresses up in Princess dresses with a crown in his hair and I say, "Oh, Joseph. Are you a Prince disguised as a Princess so you can get to know her better."
Post a Comment