Thursday, November 8, 2007

Three-Ring Circus

The circus came to town last month, and Brett's parents took me and the boys to watch it. The boys, especially Todd, were excited about going to a real circus.

I was happy that we were able to do something new with the boys' grandparents. However, I have tried to find a word that sums up my feelings about the circus and the only word that seems to express what I feel is . . . strange. The smell under the bigtop was overwhelming for the first few minutes, until you mostly got used to it. And, it is hard for me to imagine the life that the circus employees lead.

Once the show started, I kind of got into it and enjoyed watching the different acts. The motorcyle riders who sped around inside the spherical cage were amazing, but . . . crazy. I did enjoy watching the acrobatics, the horse-riding jugglers, and the dancing poodles. And, of course, we had to let the boys have a turn riding their first pony (or miniature horse, I'm not really sure).
The elephant show was sweet, but I also couldn't help but feel a little sad for the animals.


All, in all, we had a good time. After the show we went to a restaurant nearby for a nice dinner. Though Ryan started to lose interest a few times throughout the afternoon, the picture below really captures the way Todd felt about our outing. He really enjoyed the circus, and was the perfect age to go.

No comments: