I have really appreciated the programs of our Church lately and the opportunity it gives to strenghthen my own testimony as well as my children's. I know that my boys are learning things at Church, and because Todd has been learning at Church, it has sparked more conversations and teaching moments at home.
About two weeks ago Todd participated in the Primary Program at Church on Sunday in front of the whole congregation. Prior to that Todd had asked to give the scripture and prayer for Primary (Primary is like Sunday School for the children). Unfortunately, he completely choked and asked if I would do it all for him. I was afraid that he would really panic when reading his part for the Primary Program. I made sure that we practiced his line every morning before I gave the boys their vitamin. It was a success! Todd read his line loud and clear enough for me to understand him at the back of the chapel. Of course, I'm his mom and had been practicing the line with them, so I knew what he was saying. Still, he didn't panic and many members of the congregation who know how shy Todd is came up to him later and congratulated him for doing so well and being so brave. It became a fun activity for each of us, and Ryan had the line memorized as well after a week. We have continued that and turned it into an opportunity for the boys to become familiar with and memorize popular scriptures. Last week they both memorized John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep the commandments." Before practicing for the program, I would not have expected that a little 3-year old could memorize a scripture so quickly.
I also love the songs that the boys learn through Primary and at home. I made a CD with the songs that they were using for the Primary Program along with some other popular Primary songs. We have been playing the CD in the car for months, and the boys often request me to sing the Primary songs before bed. Todd's favorite is "I'll Follow Him in Faith." He also likes "This is My Beloved Son." The songs have invited lots of questions as the boys have tried to understand the lyrics. Ryan's favorite has been "Teach Me to Walk in the Light." He has all three verses memorized, and he sings it so well that I have been considering doing a special musical number in Church with Ryan and myself singing that song. As long as he didn't get nervous and start singing silly (or not at all) it could be a beautiful.
We have also been practicing the Articles of Faith songs for the past couple of months. The children will be singing them in Church next week. The Primary president gave us a CD to play in the car with all thirteen Articles of Faith. When I was in Primary we did not have songs for the Articles of Faith, so they were new to me. Although I had all thirteen Articles of Faith memorized years ago (a few different times), I had forgotten a few of them in the middle, and could not keep track of the order. I can now say that I once again have all of them memorized, and I hope that knowing the songs will make it harder for me to forget them. I didn't expect that the boys were memorizing them as well. This week, however, the boys are practicing an Article of Faith for their scripture memorization. Ryan really tunes into music, so he has to sing the first Article of Faith to recite it (with help still). Todd has been asking me to sing the song for the thirteenth, so that is the one he picked to recite. Although this is the longest one, he has the one thing memorized without help and can recite it without singing it - "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul- We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things."
Lastly, I am happy that my children are learning about Jesus Christ - who He is and what He did for us. A few days ago I was sitting on the couch with Todd watching him play. I don't remember the exact question he first asked, but it was something like, "Did the airplanes fly to Jerusalem when Jesus was there?" I tried to explain that Jesus lived on the earth a long time ago and the people didn't have airplanes then. Todd asked, "Are the crosses still at Jerusalem?" I answered that I didn't think so. He asked, "Is Jesus' tomb still there?" I said, "Yes, it is." His eyes opened wide and he smiled as he replied, "But the tomb is empty!" He understands the excitement of that statement. "And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen..." (Matthew 28:5-6). What a perfect way to start the month of November and the beginning of the holiday season. This is the joy and good news we need to share with our children.
No comments:
Post a Comment