Saturday, November 10, 2007

Baby Clothes and Recycling

After Todd grew out of his baby clothes, I packed them up and put them away in the attic. When I pulled the clothes out for Ryan, I handled each item one-by-one and remembered how little Todd had been at one time. It was an emotional moment for me going through the box.

After Ryan grew out of his baby clothes, I packed them up and put them away in the attic. Two years later I pulled them out of the attic to share with my friend Anne who had a little boy. I handled the items again (though a little less this time because I was letting Anne do the washing and folding of each little outfit) and remembered how little Ryan and Todd had been at one time. It was an emotional moment for me going through the box again.

Now, Anne's baby boy has grown out these little clothes, and once more I looked over some of those items and remembered how small Todd and Ryan had been at one time. The boys look so different from the little babies they once were that - you guessed it - it was an emotional moment for me. I picked out a few special outfits, and Anne let me have some tiny onesies that were her baby's, and when I got home I dressed the teddy bears.

I can't really say why I did it. It sounds so stupid now. I think I just wanted to handle those little outfits one more time.

The boys thought it was great. Todd asked me to put the overalls on his teddy bear and said that she was the mommy because she was wearing a dress. I explained that they were really pants, but the poor teddy's legs weren't long enough for them. The funny thing is that when the boys wore overalls as babies the snaps would pop open and Brett would tease, "Why is Todd (or Ryan) wearing a dress?!?"

Earlier this month Anne was sorting through her toys and pulled out ones that her children weren't playing with much. She passed up this Weeble-Wobble castle to see if Todd and Ryan would enjoy playing with it at our house for a while. They have had quite a bit of fun with it - though they have also used it as a cool racetrack for some of their cars.
Isn't recycling great?

No comments: