Monday, September 14, 2009

Germany - Busy First Days

I am alive and well in Germany. More than being alive and well, I am having a great time. I left home on Wednesday, and arrived early Thursday morning. I did not sleep on the plane, but I have been too busy to be too tired.

After an hour nap Thursday afternoon, I was off to see a part of the city with Sigrid, followed by a full tour with her neighbor on Friday. Sigrid's neighbor does tours for the city, and it was fantastic having a personal, English-speaking tour guide. Pit, Sigrid, and I have taken advantage of the beautiful and unseasonably warm weather they have been having, and have gone on a few outdoor walks. We walked 334 steps up to the building below, Walhalla. It is an impressive structure with an even more impressive view of the Danau (Danube) River and the surrounding area.


On Saturday, Pit, Sigrid, and I drove an hour and a half to the city of Rothenburg, another beautiful German city. The streets of the old part of these cities are so charming. It was so nice sitting in an outside cafe eating a delicious torte, talking, enjoying the sun, and chatting. This is vacation!


We climbed more stairs while in Rothenburg (this time a little more than 200) to the top of a windy tower in the town hall. From there, you can look out over the city and valley beyond. Another spectacular view.

In order to get to the top, you had to climb some rather narrow staircases. You may not see it in the photo, but there is a little trepidation in the smile below over going back down those narrow and steep stairs.

We visited a little Christmas museum and shop in Rothenburg - a fun little stop.

This was a funny little car. I have never seen one so small that the door has to be in the front.

On Sunday we enjoyed another sunny afternoon with Sigrid's parents (and Oma's sister). We had a lovely time, and I only felt bad that I couldn't communicate with Regina's husband. He seems like such a nice man. I would like to be able to talk with him. Just another reason to learn German and come back.
It is so fun to watch the family interact together. I can see how much they all enjoy each other's company. This picture is not the greatest (Elke and Patrick's eyes are half-closed), but I love it because I see how much they love each other. You never saw two siblings so cute to watch together.

On our walk together yesterday afternoon, we came across a hazelnut tree. I immediate thought of Brett and Marianne.
I hope I will have the chance to keep you updated as I go. There is so much to see here, it's hard to know what to say. Hope everyone is doing well back home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i miss you! So incredibly jealous of your jaunt across the pond. I'd trade my day at disney for a day in germany anytime :)

well except for that narrow staircase thing - NOT for me my dear friend :)

only think I hated about England - all those spiral staircases. Probably where I got my fear of heights.

Amy said...

Looks like you're having a blast! A vacation sans children ... I can't even imagine! :) Can't wait to hear the story in its entirety when you return.