Our "summer outings" began with a trip to the pool last week with Oma. The water was still a little chilly for me. I was able to get in and swim with the boys for a bit, but after a little while I got cold and had to get out. Of course, getting out is almost as painfully cold as getting in. The boys had no problems jumping in and staying in.

The boys have been looking forward to swimming. However, they both needed a little time to get used to it again. Ryan went ahead to the pool with Oma while I finished getting ready. Oma said that Ryan jumped right in, then realized that he had forgotten how to swim. He panicked, and Oma had to jump in after him. I got in the pool with Ryan, let him jump to me, then made him swim back to the edge by himself. He did not want to let go of me. "It's too far. I can't do it." Finally, I pried him off of me and gave him a little push. That was all it took. He remembered. That's when the fun began. Jumping, swimming and jumping some more.
Todd had a similar experience to Ryan. He got right into the pool and pushed off the stairs. I was watching from the edge of the pool. Todd forgot how to swim, panicked, and I had to grab his arm and guide him to the edge. I reminded him how to use his arms to make circles and how to get his feet behind him and kick. He kept trying and it clicked. He remembered. Then he was jumping and swimming and racing with Oma.



Just don't splash Oma...

This weekend I took the boys to the beach. I was looking forward to some beautiful photos, but the beach was kind of dirty: seaweed and green water (the yucky green--not our beautiful "Emerald"). We still had a great time, and even got in the water. The yellow flag was flying, so I didn't let the boys go in too far. We just had a good time jumping over waves. Once Todd put his mask on he had a great time jumping through the waves.
Sandy bottoms...




No comments:
Post a Comment