I finished two books this weekend. (And I finished two sewing projects. And I played the piano. Don't ask about the state of my house.)
The first book I finished was "Before Green Gables" by Budge Wilson. It is a prequel to the Anne of Green Gables series by a different author. Often these kinds of books--the books people write because they long for more, more, more of a book or series--can be disappointing. I grew up reading Lucy Maud Montgomery, including all of the "Anne" books. I wasn't expecting too much out of this new book. I was pleasantly surprised. In fact, I really loved it. I can't tell you how often I got teary eyed as I read the book. Though it has been a while since I read the original "Anne" books, I felt that the writing in the book had a similar style and feel. If you already love Anne Shirley, you'll love hearing about her story before she was adopted by the Cuthberts. Thanks, Mom, for thinking of me when you found this book.
The second book I finished was "The Actor and the Housewife" by Shannon Hale. I've read a few of Shannon Hale's books this last year. I thoroughly enjoyed her fairy tale novels for young adults . I also enjoyed her novel, "Austenland," a fluffy but entertaining book for adults. "The Actor and the Housewife" is another fluffy book for adults. I will admit that I got a little bored with the storyline early in the book, but I couldn't put it down. She had me laughing every other page. Ms. Hale has a keen understanding of romantics like myself. Just last week or so I was telling Anne (not Shirley, but still with an "e") what I wanted in a romantic comedy. Namely, that I don't want to see skin or groping in a movie. But I am always disappointed if I don't get a good kiss in the end. Ms. Hale's character has a similar movie philosophy going so far as to list her all-time favorite movie kisses as well to list what makes a good kiss and what gross stuff that needs to be left out. And, of course, Ms. Hale doesn't disappoint--she includes a nice kiss or two for us to relish. Mmm. Just what I need from time to time. It makes me feel good seeing that there are others out there like me. I have a feeling I would like Shannon Hale.
4 comments:
Thanks for the suggestion! I've gobbled up every book L.M. Montgomery ever wrote, I'll have to read the pre-quel to Anne Shirley's life at Green Gables and thereafter. Those books were "my best" (as the girls would say)! In fact, Emma's middle name is Blythe as a tribute to Anne and Gilbert's love story.
Have you read "The Blue Castle" by L.M.M.? I had not heard of that one growing up. A few years back Alissa Clifton introduced me to it. It's another one you might want to check out if you haven't read it already.
I recognized Emma's middle name as being the same as Anne and Gilbert's last name, but I didn't realize it was an intentional association. That's cool.
um- if you won a copy of the prequel do you think I could borrow it? No late fees :)
and i visited the library today - gasp!
Anne, I'm so proud of you! The book is in my kitchen box ready for you when you come back.
Post a Comment