I was really tired last night, proven by the fact that I was in bed (asleep) by 9:45pm. Often, when I go to sleep earlier than usual, I end up having a more restless sleep with lots of dreams. Last night was no exception. I often remember my dreams. Too bad that they're really not that interesting. In fact, they are so realistic that they are tedious.
Dream One: I woke up in the morning and realized that it was already Saturday and I had forgotten to call the pediatrician and get a refill for Todd's breathing medicine. [I was relieved when I really woke up and found out that it is Friday, and I can still call the pediatrician as planned.]
Dream Two: I was so tired (in my dream and in real life). It was evening and all I wanted to do was go to bed. Unfortunately, because it was Saturday night I had to stay up and prepare for the lesson that I am giving in Church Sunday morning. [I was relieved when I woke up and found out that it is Friday morning, and I still have a day and a half to prepare my lesson. However, I did commit to start planning today so I don't have to live out this dream in reality.]
Dream Three: It was about 5:00pm one evening. Brett suggested we go canoeing. I thought he was crazy, but went along with it since I want to take advantage of the times Brett suggests fun family activities (like camping in the freezing cold!). By the time we got to the canoe rental it was starting to get darker. The guy at the shop was a grump and we were having a hard time getting organized. I really needed to go to the bathroom, so I left Brett to deal with things. I ran into a mom from church and a fellow playgroup mom in the bathroom. (I still can't figure out how they knew each other.) The playgroup mom was washing out her son's stuffed animal in the sink. Evidently it fell overboard and got all muddy. Their group was obviously just returning from a canoe trip. After talking with them for a few minutes, I went back outside. It was now pitch black outside, and I basically told Brett that this was a terrible idea. I suggested we give it up and head back home. [When I heard Brett stirring beside me, about to get up, I made sure to tell him that deciding to go canoeing at 5:00 at night was a terrible idea. I love making out-of-the-blue comments like that after one of dreams involving Brett. He is a good sport. Today he responded with something like, "Well, I had to go pick up the canoe and it took some time to get everything together."]
This last dream was one of my "bizarre" dreams. Brett's "bizarre" dreams usually involve aliens or super-heroes or other unrealistic scenarios. I'm always curious about Brett's dreams. More so, because he almost never remembers them. They're gone about five seconds after he wakes up.
The problem with realistic dreams is that I often feel like I was awake all night taking care of errands (and organizing canoe trips?!). I wake up feeling almost as tired as when I went to sleep.
Here's a question for you: are your dreams of the tedious, realistic variety or the interesting, bizarre variety?
Post Script: After I wrote this post, I took a shower. As I was exfoliating my heels with my pumice stone (TMI?) I remembered another dream I had last night. My mother-in-law gave some salon gift certificates to the girls in the family. Donna had already opened hers and had received a gift certificate to have her hair done, I think. I was looking forward to what my gift certificate would be. I wasn't too happy when I opened it and saw that my certificate was for a pedicure. Because my feet are in such bad shape, the thought of someone else seeing (and touching) them up close kind of freaks me out. I got over my fear and started looking forward to having pretty feet, to the point that I was already thinking about polish colors. [When I remembered my dream in the shower, I was disappointed to realize that I would not be getting a pedicure anytime soon.]
2 comments:
I think I have all of the above. They're mostly based on reality type issues - particularly what I've experienced recently. If anything, they're reality mixed with randomness.
I think women think about things way more than guys do. Do you think that means that more women have realistic dreams that they remember than guys do? Because we have so many dreams about what's on our minds.
Post a Comment