Just because I live a small city, don't assume that I don't have access to at least some cultural activities enjoyed by those from big cities. Our local college has a fantastic fine arts program with a theater that has housed a number of notable productions. This week I was able to see a Broadway production of the musical "Evita". What a treat! I really enjoy the music and had to keep myself from humming along while watching the show.
I had seen the musical advertised when the school announced this season's events. But I was undecided about spending the money on a ticket and put it off until the show was sold out. On Wednesday, I decided to bring Todd and Ryan over to say hi to Oma and Papa after picking up Todd from school. (Todd thought she would enjoy the new song he learned at school, "The Ants Go Marching", because as he said, "Oma likes marching.") My father-in-law has been ushering at the Fine Arts Center for a few months now and had requested ushering for this show. He was starting to get ready to go and Oma asked whether I was going to the show. I said no, and told her that the show was sold out already. She said that if I could get a ticket she would be happy to watch the boys. So, at 3:55pm I called the box office and there were 3 seats that had just become available. So, I bought a ticket, went home, ate dinner, and got ready for the show which started at 7:30pm. The seat was in second row of the balcony. I have had balcony seats twice before and had not been impressed. But the lady in the box office said the second row was actually a pretty good seat, and I found that she was right.
I thoroughly enjoyed my spontaneous night-on-the-town and hope to repeat it again soon.
1 comment:
Becca--
What a great title for this entry, obviously inspired by the musical. I'm so glad you're able to get out to cultural events, something we love but don't do often enough!
I've enjoyed your blog entries. Keep them coming!
Post a Comment