Wednesday, July 7, 2010

What Will I Do With My Time?

"Summer" ends in four weeks. Only four more weeks until school starts back up.

I am not looking forward to getting rid of my kids the way some parents do after having them around all day/every day. I like having them around. And they play so well with each other and with their next door neighbor, that it's not hard for them to stay busy. My problem is organizing my time so that we have a chance to do some of the activities and outings that I want to do with them before summer ends. We have done a few things like going to Big Kahuna's, playing Mexican Train Dominoes, making popsicles, water skiing, picking ripe red tomatoes from the garden, going to the library, hiking a trail at Rocky Bayou State Park, swim lessons, and just lounging with the family, among other things.

However, I would also like to do some of the following before the summer:
Go to a summer movie
Pick blueberries
Go canoeing
See the manatees in Wakulla River
Hit a state park or two
Go scalloping
Make more popsicles
Do a craft or two or three

And while I want to enjoy my time with the boys while I have it, I find that I am already looking ahead to what I might be able to accomplish when I have a full day of my own time. Of course, as I look forward to this time I do it in an attitude of procrastination. Like, why bother organizing my paperwork and balancing my checkbook now? Better to just wait until school starts.

Other projects I dream of finishing:
Sorting through and getting rid of seldom-used clothes, movies, and stuff
Ironing
Organizing all my photos
Sewing a dress-up cape and Ben10 costume (just in time for Halloween!)
Sewing my Christmas advent calendar
Cleaning the ceiling fans/general dusting (...nah!)
Detail vacuuming around the baseboards (...maybe)
Organizing my recipes and making weekly menu plans
Hanging pictures in dining room and family room
Painting exterior wall of the former screened porch
Catching up on blogging (is that even possible?)
Learning German (now I'm really dreaming...)

We'll see how successfully I organize my life come August. In the meantime, I am determined to put those big projects aside and use my last month to have fun with the boys. In fact, I think I'll attempt "Make more popsicles" right now.

Hope you're having fun with your summer.

1 comment:

Nancy, Jeremy, Jack, Julianne, and Cole said...

If you try to catch a free summer movie at the rave- call or email me- I want to try that with Jack.